Thursday, September 30, 2010

Runners in the Mist

This morning I had the opportunity to get in my long run before Dan went to work.  I guess I shouldn't act as though I don't usually have the opportunity, I could get up before the crack of dawn any morning I want to.  I, however, choose not to now that school is back in and I can run in the daylight (rainy as it might be) with the other sane (well, we are still talking about runners, maybe "sane" isn't the best word choice) people.  Today I opted to run early because I failed to get a new tire for the jogging stroller yesterday so it was either do my 12 + miles before the sun came up or most likely not get it in at all (and that simply isn't an option).

I was a little bit sad to do be going out in the dark because I had fully intended to revisit last Friday's run  (after some of your suggestions and urgings) and see what the construction was all about, but did not want to brave it when I couldn't see.  Instead, I opted for doing a couple variations of my favorite South Eugene loops.  It was a beautifully misty morning as we've been having here of late and by beautiful I mean ugly, dreary and somewhat depressing (I loved it though!).  I kind of felt like a vegetable in the produce section.  By the end of the run I was totally drenched and the sun still wasn't close to coming up.  Despite that, it was a great way to start the day.  I felt so energized and alive... okay maybe that was just the caffeinated Gu I was hyped up on... I think I should shoot up with that stuff every morning, definitely would make the effort of getting the kids off to school more doable.  It WAS a good run though, and kind of makes me miss getting up super early and getting my mileage in before the day starts.  Who knows, maybe I'll try to do it at least once a week.  We'll see...

7 comments:

Dick said...

I'd trade you the dreary, wet weather you're dealing with for the sweltering hot stuff we're having in Klamath any time! I could use some cool, wet weather...it keeps the fair weather people inside where they belong!

Emz said...

I'm with Dick [I've always wanted to say that;) ]

YAY to caffeinated Gu mornings!! I'm all for it!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Chocolate espresso beans. Enough said.

Diana Tries-A-Tri! said...

Does your grocery store produce section make that little thunder noise before the mist comes on? I always love that! I always forget GU has caffeine in it!

P said...

You're welcome to share some of my 75 degrees at 5 am if I can have some of your cool, dreary mistiness. Loved the veggies in the produce section metaphor! :-)

Laurie said...

Oh my gosh Emz, you crack me up!

racing dawn said...

I did a couple early morning runs this week too, kinda nice to get it out of the way for the day! I've also contemplated eating some GU's in the morning even if not running...;)_