Sunday, September 26, 2010

Is it too late...

for cookies and milk or chocolate cupcakes or hot chocolate and muffins or maybe popcorn and juice or, chocolate, or... I'm not really sure what it is I'm craving and since it's 9pm and I don't have any of those things it probably IS too late... too bad because I could really go for some sort of tasty treat.  It has been a long, busy, stressful weekend and unfortunately I think I drowned most of my sorrows with our last bag of chocolate chips... what started off as "just a handful" turned into "just a handful" every time I went into the kitchen until I found myself going into the kitchen for "just a handful".  Don't worry, I didn't finish off the whole bag in one day... it was probably closer to 2 and I did share some with Leona who caught on to my "handful" trick.

Anyway... my run on Friday turned out to be pretty good, although my indecisiveness made out for a longer run than originally anticipated.  At the 4 mile bridge (to make an 8 miler) I actually stopped for a bit and thought about turning.  Coincidentally a man decided it would be a good time to come up and talk to the kids and me and tell me his whole life story... about how he'll be 60 on November 4th and that he has two girls, one of which works two jobs (who he seemed quite proud of) and another who goes to school full time at the university (who surprisingly he didn't seem to approve of as much)... told you it was his life story, in which he concluded with the need for a cigarette.  After assuring him that smoking didn't much help my running and that I was fresh out of cigs, I opted to continue on my merry way instead of making the turn (and following him).  Plus I was feeling good (the kids were sound asleep) and decided I could better benefit from a longer run.

So, about a mile before the bridge at 6 miles, to make my 12 mile loop, I ran into this...
which led to more indecision.  Should I press onward and see how "closed" the path really was? Should I turn around and make my 12 loop into a 10 mile out and back? Should I take the detour?  Decisions, decisions, decisions.  I opted to press onward through the blockade... (aren't fences meant to be climbed?) until I came to a second path closed sign (I guess for people like me that didn't believe the first one?) and decided I best turn around.  

I really didn't want to do an out and back though, I wanted to cross the river, so I took my chances on the detour.  Outside of adding an extra mile to my run and making me run along a busy, dirty, full of yucky stuff road, the detour wasn't all that bad and the rest of the run was pretty uneventful.  Although I did pick up a hitchhiker.  This little guy hung out on the stroller for a good 2 miles (at least that's when I stopped checking to see if he was still there)... guess he also wanted to be on the other side of the river.

10 comments:

P said...

Ha, ha, ha!! I know that "just a handful" trick!! Two whole days for a bag of chocolate chips is pretty good, sometimes they go faster than that. Sounds like you worked it all off on that super long run, though!!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

So many decisions! I always go around the closed signs, usually for the good.

Dick said...

I've always felt that "Road Closed" signs always apply to everyone else, and aren't meant for me. I look at them as if they are a challenge...which has led to scars on my skin and scratches on my pickup. Where we differ is that I'm not pushing Jonny and Noni in a running stroller...be careful!

Heather said...

I am now dying to know why the path was closed. Please investigate. Take chocolate chips with you for sustenance!!

Runners Fuel said...

I HATE bugs!! I would have screamed!

Emz said...

I'm with Kovas [that never happens, BTW! ;) ]

I think "road closed" signs only apply to cars.

Rad Runner said...

I would have done the same thing! Total curiosity chaser! Glad Jimminey had time to meet up!

Pemberton Family said...

I can relate to the handful of chocolate chips trick. I only keep chocolate chips in the house and really no other sweets so they won't be there for me to eat them, then I end up eating the entire bag of chocolate chips too!

Quinton J said...

it's NEVER too late for delicious treats.

Janet said...

I usually opt for the cup of hot chocolate when it's late. It just seems right at night. That was a strange looking grasshopper. I don't think I have ever seen one that color. Sounds like it was a nice run.