Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I disagree...


After devouring almost an entire bag of mini Hershey candy bars yesterday, with hope to find some happiness and ward off what P most intuitively referred to as "taper tantrums", I came to the conclusion that Hershey does not equal Happiness. Those liars. Whoever came up with the sadistic campaign obviously didn't have any of the following (or better yet, all at the same time):
- a grumpy, teething?, 6 month old who has recently given up sleeping through the night
- a grumpy, no excuse for it, 2 year old who has recently given up sleeping in her own bed through the night
- 2 grumpy school age kids who, although they do sleep through the night (thank goodness), seem to only be happy when making as much noise & mess as possible
- a broken vacuum cleaner... so much for cleaning up that mess
- a broken washing machine... that really works, but only when it feels like it and then only when restarted about every 3.2 minutes
- a house that somehow became infested with two maniac yet super illusive flies... I swear if I can't get them out dead or alive soon, I'm going to lose what's left of my mind...

Nope, eating a bag of chocolate surprisingly didn't help, unless "help" means to feel somewhat nauseous and extremely disappointed that the last 16 weeks of fairly hard training and somewhat strict eating might possibly been negated in a single day's taper tantrum eating...

I hate to admit that my husband is right (mostly because it means, I'm probably wrong), but Dan, you're right, there is no way I'll be able to take an entire week off of running after my race. Here's to hoping today goes more smoothly or that at least somebody hides (what is left of) the chocolate...

13 comments:

Emz said...

I love this post.

These days [unfortunately] will happen.

Just promise me you'll reach for Dove chocolates next time. Hershey's[yuck]. ;)

Janet said...

Chocolate isn't always the answer obviously. I'm sure a good nights sleep would really help. Maybe I will come up and spend the night before your race and try to keep your kids upstairs for the night. Love you, Mom

Nicole Orriƫns said...

I made my way through six bars of chocolate on Monday night.

It's the opposite of going out for a run: after a run you feel better, but after devouring too much chocolate you feel awful...

What is it about feeling blue that makes you want to eat. And eat. And eat?

http://www.momshomerun.blogspot.com

racing dawn said...

i have a box of donutholes staring at me this morning. why do i even buy those things? not sure i have the willpower to fight them off today...thanks for helping me not feel alone in the struggle. :)

Tricia said...

reality just plain sucks sometimes. Sounds like your mom is willing to sweep in and save the day. Hope you get some rest.

track coach and adorable wife said...

I can't even see those flies and they are driving me nuts. If you didn't live 6 hrs away I would let you borrow my vacuum and awesome fly killing skills! Hope things get better. Try a favorite show or a really really long walk! Like to a favorite clothing store!

P said...

Tapering sucks. At least you can be grateful that you're not injured and you DO get to run really fast in just a few days! And the chocolate? Totally an energy food. :-)

misszippy said...

Love this. Sorry it's a "when it rains, it pours" kind of week.

k2323 said...

A whole week off after you half? Really? I've never done that before and I know I would go nuts. A couple of slow 3-4 milers may help you keep your sanity next week.
Oh, and as I've said before, you are going to do AMAZING on Sunday.

Trista said...

I also have a 2 year old and 6 month old that won't sleep through the night and I often turn to chocolate for comfort :). I wish it did more than give me a stomach ache! It does make me happy, though, if I don't eat too much. I read a study once that said if you have more than 12 servings of chocolate a month you're depressed. I must REALLY be depressed because I have some every day!

runningwithababyonboard said...

Love the post!

I'll take chocolate anyway I can get it, but I'm with Emz. Dove is the way to go (or if you really need an expensive chocolate fix, Lindt chocolate).

Good luck!

runninglawyer said...

You've won an award at my blog! Come check it out: http://runningfromlaw.blogspot.com

ross88guy said...

Hershey's are the best (dont listen to these other chocolate fans!)

I have just consumed quite a few Oreos and now am trying to muster up the energy to get out for a run.

Wish me luck!

My Running Blog