Monday, September 13, 2010

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

The Eugene Women's Half Marathon was my first "real" race. I say real because they had official race photographers and apparently that's what constitutes a real race in my book. It sounds pretty silly, but I wanted to have good race photos... it was actually one of my goals. (Finish the race, finish the race well under 2 hours, and not look like death doing it.) I'm not really sure why, even if I got the absolute best photo ever I still wouldn't purchase any, I think it was just the challenge of it all... to take good race photos. I've actually read a bit here and there about how to take a good photo. Apparently smiling can do wonders, even if inside you are secretly dying, give the camera a little smile and you look like you're having the time of your life. So, I got an email letting me know that the race pics were up and I checked them out. I made 10 pics. That's 10 pictures of me, running, mostly by myself. So, how did I do? Well, since I'm pirating them from the site and I know you don't have any need/desire to see 10 pictures of me running, here are 3, the good (or I should say the best of the lot), the bad and the ugly (as in, I really can't believe I'm going to share it with you ugly).

So, it started off well enough.
The first cameraman was easy to spot somewhere around mile 2. I managed to look happy without looking cheesy. Form isn't too bad, kind of have a chicken wing thing going but I'd consider sharing this picture with friends.
I present, The Good.
Here is The Bad.
The picture itself isn't so bad. No real grimace, a nice stride, but I made the ultimate rookie finish line mistake... focused all my energy on stopping my watch. No smile. No attempt to look at the camera. Nope, just me, finishing the longest race of my life thus far with my only concern to make sure my watch is stopped on time.
Finally, The Ugly.
This picture is a classic everything you do not want to see in a race photo. I look like death warmed over. My eyes are shut. Every muscle in my body looks tense. I'm hunched and grimacing. My knees appear to be fused together so that I can only take little scissor steps... this my friends is one ugly race pic. The best part is I saw the photo guy, this was right before or maybe just after mile 11, I remember trying to smile for him. Maybe instead of trying to smile I should've tried to look like I was running.


Do you like your race photos? Have any super great ones that you've blown up and hung above your mantel for all to see? How 'bout some ugly ones... do share...

15 comments:

track coach and adorable wife said...

That was great fun. Maybe I will do the same when I get my race pics! Though I am pretty sure I can beat your ugly with my good!

me/mom/NANA said...

I don't know much about picture taking and staging, but I for one think they are all 3 very good. To your inlaws, you can't take a bad photo and we think you are beautiful. Inside and out. :0)

runningwithababyonboard said...

i'm with track coach and adorable wife. my good is way worse than your ugly. i seem to have that death warmed over look throughout the entire race. i think you look awesome-- strong and fast. :)

Teamarcia said...

My ugliest race pics all seem to be me with my tongue out--ugh.

P said...

Okay, I admit it: I burst out laughing when I saw the "ugly" pic! OMG, I look like that in almost every race photo of me ever taken. Your good pic is SOOO good, though, definitely worth buying.

Diana Tries-A-Tri! said...

Race photographers who take pictures while you're stepping down and not bouncing up are cruel cruel people. I think we all have one of those 'ugly' ones! But the good is quite good!

Emz said...

Are you joking....all your photos ROCK! I love it!

Kendra said...

Your pics look great! I've never had a good race picture--they always look horrible in my opinion! lol And since I've not fell in love with any of them, the $15 price tag just seemed too much at the time. Someday, maybe!

Zaneta said...

haha... i actually had a picture of me running like my 3rd 5k ever in the summer in 90 degree hit in the newspaper lol... i looked pale and like i was dying or going to throw up lol... nasty! Haven't had any "official" photos as i haven't run any "official" races ;)

Catey said...

I LOVE that you shared these! Your "ugly" pic totally made me laugh. :) Your good one is really great!

I think I've had one official race picture that I didn't totally hate. My favorite is one that my husband took of me during the swim leg of my first tri. Cool pic.

Runners Fuel said...

I've never seena good race pics of me, yet. Even if I try to pose a little while I run by!

Heather said...

Your good picture is SO good. The "ugly" picture is so funny. But ALL mine look like that.
The commenter who mentioned the "stepping down" is right on.
So, I blame the photographer. You should too!

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

I've never bought any of my race photos... I think it's because no matter how much I'm kickin' rear, I always look like I'm walking... what's up with that?

Love the good photo though... definitely one worth purchasing!

Amy said...

It looks like that you are doing so well, I like the pictures and thanks for sharing us your run story.

zbsports

ajh said...

I have bought only a couple race photos. One time my husband -who rarely races - and I finished together and it couldn't have been a better shot if we had posed. (I was in front!) That one was bought and put on the Christmas card!