Thursday, September 2, 2010

Are You a Runner?

The other day, Calvin (and by default, the rest of us too) had a playgroup with all the incoming kindergartners and their parents. The purpose of this social hour was for the kids to become comfortable with one another before school starts and for the parents to interact and ultimately brag about how advanced their child is and how prestigious his preschool was. I'm really not a super big fan of these sort of events, but Calvin was super excited and I thought it would be a good chance for me to get to know some parents so that when I wait outside of Calvin's school everyday I have someone to talk to. During the time we were there, I managed to talk to 3 other parents... out of at least 20. The first hoity-toity lady looked as though she had thoughts about having her child changed to a different school after discovering what preschool Calvin went to. If nothing else, it was a huge conversation killer, as in, "Oh, Oh. I see, that's nice... well we probably better get going." I'm not even joking either. She then proceeded to stay for at least another 30 minutes talking to "more qualified" parents.

I thought I had hit the jackpot with couple #2. The lady was all decked out in running gear, complete with a red face and an ultimate direction handheld, as though she must have just run there. After a few minutes of exchanging pleasantries, I innocently asked, "Are you a runner?" Talk about the conversation becoming super awkward. You would've thought that she was dressed in stilettos and skimpy lingerie and that I had asked if she was a hooker. I don't know if maybe she was embarrassed because she was hot and sweaty & sporting running gear in the presence of all the hoity-toitys or what, but to get her to admit to being a runner was like pulling teeth. Even after I confided the fact that I too was a runner and would also be running the Eugene Women's Half and alluded to the fact that we didn't need to be afraid to let the others know what we were, we still couldn't seem to work up a conversation. Maybe she was intimidated by my obviously speedy running self hidden beneath shorts, a soccer shirt, converse shoes and pigtails... ha ha. When I was talking to Dan about it later he said it was awkward because I was just getting to know her and I ambushed her with running questions. Hmmm... I thought that was pretty benign. I mean she was decked out like a runner... and she ran there, seems like fair game to me. Guess we won't become running bff... oh well.

Anyway, the evening wasn't a total loss. Calvin made several friends, "Red, Blue & Green". As in they were wearing red, blue and green shirts. "Didn't they tell you their names?" "Of course," he said, "but I couldn't remember them, so I called them Red, Blue & Green!" He also spent the entire time playing tag and tagging every single girl repeatedly even though they were practically in tears telling him they weren't playing. Oh, that boy... should be
an interesting year.

Also, it seems like I've been complaing a lot but all is not so bad. For example, this adorable little girl gave me a big hug and kiss after her nap yesterday... that definitely beats a bag of chocolate to ward off taper tantrums.


12 comments:

Emz said...

That hair.

OMGosh.

I love those photos.

Adorable.

track coach and adorable wife said...

Sorry the parents down there are so super weird! No problems like that here in hicksville. If your kid can count woohoo!

Angela said...

Laurie, she is absolutely gorgeous. My youngest daughter has that same hair color.

*~* *~* *~* *~* *~* Tracy said...

Those sort of meet ups make me glad I homeschool. It lets me hang out with the weirdos I choose.

And I agree with the others, your daughters hair is gorgeously adorable.

Rae said...

Wow, what weird other parents! How dare you ask that lady if she is a runner when clearly she was! :) Actually you'd think she would be all about talking about it with you and excited that you guys have something in common.

me/mom/NANA said...

I would gladly put up any of my brilliant grandchildren against any hoity toity parents or their slack jaw kids anytime. You are lucky they were not real friendly. Just think if you had invited the 3 over to your house and had to spend the evening with them. Calvin is going to be a lady killer sonner or later so you might as well get used to it. As for Noni's photos, what can you say about perfection...:0)

Teamarcia said...

Sorry there wasn't a running love match...oh well you have us right?

Love that pretty girl!

Courtney said...

Thats weird that she didn't want to talk about being a runner. I'd be so much more comfortable talking to a stranger if I knew we had a common interest like running to talk about.

AshleyR said...

I'm thinking maybe she was just a fitness runner? I have a running partner that is a fitness runner and she doesn't want to talk running since she doesn't do it out of a love for running. Sometimes it's hard to find things to talk about with her since we don't really have things in common other than running. It would be much easier if she were passionate about running then we could talk about races, training plans, etc.

Heather said...

I am glad I am not the only one who has trouble in these "parental" situations.

Adorable pics!

P said...

Your kids are so flippin' CUTE! Boys are so funny - my fifth grader can barely remember his best friend's name.
What a bummer that the running mom was so ... odd. I would completely glom onto any mom in my kid's class who wanted to talk running!

Dick said...

It's EUGENE for crying out loud!! Doesn't EVERYONE there run???

Calvin is only your second kid to go to school...understand now why I'm such a social misfit? Wait until Jonny is getting ready to graduate, and THEN see how much time you spend trying to strike up conversations with other kids' parents!

As far as Leona goes, she's truly a beauty, but like your others she's just like Mount St. Helens...a beautiful volcano waiting to explode! Enjoy the calm moments!