Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wide Load Coming Through

While Dan has been on the last little bit of his break between school and real life, I've been taking advantage of my little windows of opportunity or "WoO"s as P so eloquently blogged about over HERE at "Adventures of an Average Athlete" and running in the afternoon with Jonny and Leona. This has been good for my running because its added some variety into what was starting to become a somewhat monotonous running routine. I get to enjoy a little sunshine and my two little ones get to enjoy a little stroller napping. It has also given Calvin and Emmeline a little break from their somewhat obnoxious pest of a little sister, who being the sweet little angel she is, enjoys playing with them by turning off the Wii mid game, stealing their toys and scribbling on their projects. Not to mention the fact that it has also given me the opportunity to seriously sleep in the last couple of days - and when I say seriously sleep in, I mean it, we're talking almost 8am two days in a row... definitely beats the 4am wake up to run time! (It pays to have children old enough/tall enough/resourceful enough to get their own breakfast before 7.)

However, there is also a downside to running with a double jogger... after lunchtime... in the summer. If you've had the opportunity to push or have one be pushed by you, you may have noticed that they are kind of big, that's big as in take up the whole sidewalk, run over everything in its path kind of big. This isn't really a problem unless of course, you're oh, I don't know, say... running down a sidewalk... after lunchtime... in the summer. Lets just say, it was a bit crowded for my afternoon run yesterday. I'm always extra conscious about running with the double jogger. I try to avoid the University area if its in between classes, I try not to venture out too early on garbage day, I try to make myself (and the gargantuan stroller) as small as possible... but sometimes people and things just can't be avoided. I've never actually hit anyone although I did once almost clip a yippity little dog that tried to attack me. I usually feel that it's my responsibility, as the runner, on the sidewalk, with the wide load to do my best to acquiesce to the needs of those pedestrians in my path.

There are a few scenarios, however, where I don't feel that I need to make as much concession:
1. Bikers. I get irritated if I have to move for bikes... kids on bikes I understand, but college aged kids and adults really annoy me... especially if there is a bike lane, which most of the streets here in Eugene have. Come on people, on the sidewalks, on your bike, get out of the way. "It's a side WALK, not a side Ride." (as quoted by Dan Higgins)
2. Inconsiderate pedestrians. I really get annoyed with people walking side by side. Okay, not so much people walking side by side, but people who do so and make no attempt to go single file as they begin to cross paths with me. Do you really want to play chicken with a double stroller people? I will run you over... Okay, I guess I probably won't because yesterday, there was a couple out for a stroll, with their little rat-dog and they made absolutely no attempt to go single file or even scoot over as our paths crossed and I completely abandoned the sidewalk for the little bit of grass by the street in order to not make contact, but the point is I COULD run you over and maybe next time I will. You should at least make an attempt to move...

Is there anything that seems to really bug you when you're running... maybe you get annoyed by double joggers on the sidewalk? :) Or runner's in the bike lane if you're riding? How 'bout slow people in the fast lane at lap swim or the other way around? (Apparently I've opened my blog up to hear your complains... so gripe away, you'll feel better. :P)

10 comments:

P said...

Hee, hee - thanks for the shout out!
I can't stand it when people don't have the courtesy to move aside on the sidewalk (or bike path, or store aisle, or wherever)! UGH! Yes, I'm officially old now that I'm complaining about how people just don't have manners anymore... :P

Amber said...

I had this exact same problem the other night at the park. I was running with the w my kids in the double jogger on the park trail while DH was playing softball. It was like 8:30 pm so I didn't think it would be a problem. There were so many people out and they just did not want to get out of the way. CRAZY and IRRITATING!! I got so frustrated my short 3M run turned into 2M.

Amber

me/mom/NANA said...

I think this just proves that most people don't use the good sense God gave them. Now that I drive a small SUV I feel so much more powerful. Nothing bugs me more than to be driving down the street and some dumb old lady (and yes I am an old lady too) pulls out of a side street and then just crawls along, becoming the slow walker in your story and I just want to drive up and over her old junker. I could too. I think the bigger you are, the more power you have and the right to the entire road or sidewalk and let the others beware. Wow I feel better for letting that out. Thanks.

racing dawn said...

Is Jonny and Leona your kids? I have a Johnny and a Jaela Leona! How crazy! Didn't think anyone knew the name Leona!
I get urked by non-wavers! Seriously, a smile, a head nod - not too much to ask... Don't get me started! :) Also teenagers that honk their horn coming from behind me... scares the crap right out of me and I end up having the shakes for the rest of my run!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

the bikers bug me when I don't have a stroller, it's not meant for bikes!!

i am soo in awe of any mom pushing a double stroller that I'm hoping out of the way!

AshleyR said...

People are so thoughtless sometimes. Drives me nuts.

Annoying people aside I absolutely love the names of your kids! Emmeline was on our list of girl names but since we had a boy we ended up with Emmett.(family name, nothing to do with Twilight, hadn't even heard of the books then)

rubber7soul said...

When people don't even bother to try and go single file on a sidewalk it drives me crazy. I run around my office park sometimes and a whole group of people will just take up the whole sidewalk. Won't even move when I say on your left when coming from behind! There are also the single walkers that just stay in the middle of the sidewalk. Sometimes I want to clip them with my arm swing when I am running by just to prove a point.

And as someone else mentioned, the people that ignore you when you wave or say hello. The other morning I was out running in my neighborhood at about 6am and it was still kinda dark. I encounted 4 other people and said "morning" to all of them. Not one said or did anything back. Oookay then.

Thanks. I feel better :).

Dick said...

It's nice to see your genetics kicking in! A few months ago you said stuff about the old guy that wouldn't smile or wave when you went by, and now you're contemplating running over the idiots that have no consideration or respect for anyone else! That a girl, Laurie! Just run over them, and then say "excuse me...I didn't see you." Ask your mother what I do on the few occasions when we go to a mall...

*~* *~* *~* *~* *~* Tracy said...

I definitely get annoyed at the trail hoggers. I'm pushing 90 pounds of kids and stroller here, folks. Can you cut me some slack??

I often run on rural roads w/o a shoulder so I get really peeved at cars that don't move over until the last second. Um, yea, they're going to teach me a lesson by killing me?? That's something their kids will be proud of them for.

I don't get too annoyed at the non-wavers though. I know when I'm working hard, I get into a zone and often don't realize until they've passed that someone waved or said hi (or I'm too out of breath to talk/wave!).

Christina said...

Oh, I was so annoyed today! I am a runner, but I also bike. I pull my little man behind me in a double-wide bike trailer. We took the bike to a BIKE trail today. There was a group os SIX people walking with a dog, and they were spread out over the path. They'd look behind them every so often, and they knew in advance I was coming. From twenty feet behind them, I called out that I would be passing to the left. Um, they looked at me and didn't move. WHAT? I called out again, and they just turned and looked at me. I kept going, and the three on the left jumped off the trail at the last minute. I rode ride through their little group. I almost hit two of them! Dumb, dumb, DUMB people! Ahhhhh, I do feel much better now. :)