Thursday, August 19, 2010

Speeding?

Yesterday on my schedule was the last track workout I have planned before my half-marathon. It was pretty decent with 4x1600's, 800 recoveries and a warmup/cool down to equal 8 miles. I knew that in order to get that done in time for Dan to get off to work, I'd need to be out of the house around 4:30ish. No worries.

Well, Jonny didn't agree. He woke up at 3am wanting to nurse and then play. So, I did what was logical... loaded him up in Steppy (the single stroller) and headed out the door about 3:45am (I took my sweet time getting ready). By the time we got to the track he was, of course, super sound asleep again (who in their right mind gets up that early?!) so I decided he'd be safe on the sidelines while I did my 1600's. First one went by without any trouble. 7:24. Little slower than I'd like, but I seem to run more slowly in the dark. Picked up the stroller for the 800 recovery and then decided to keep him with me for #2. Got a faster split at 7:22, but really didn't enjoy not being able to use my arms. So after another 800 easy, I decided to dump, I mean park him gently, along side the track again. #3 6:52.... whoo hooo, feeling much more speedy without the stroller and now that it was getting lighter. Grabbed the kiddo for another 800 recovery. About this time, I see this nice little policeman car driving slowly down the road absolutley checking us out. (See 1st figure below).I figured he was just scoping out the track, seeing what was going on. He then pulled into the driveway of the apartment complex and we went on our merry little way. Anxious to get the workout done, and done quickly, I again sidelined Jonny and took off on my final 1600. Well, 100 meters into the first lap, Mr. Policeman is back again, this time sitting directly in front of me and as I round the corner, he starts flashing his lights. Why? Was I speeding?! Ha ha.
I thought about waving, then I thought about waving with just one finger, then I realized, not only am I running on a track that technically doesn't open for another 2 hours but I've left my child abandoned on the side of it while I gallivant around it in the wee hours of the morning. Talk about borderline neglect! So, I decided not to provoke Mr. Flash his lights in my face police man and I just ran a little faster. He eventually lost interest in me (or maybe the bad guys hiding in the bushes by me?) and left us alone. Final 1600: 6:50.

So, that was it. I didn't get in trouble for speeding, or trespassing, or even abandonment/neglect but I did decide maybe 4am is just a bit too early for a track workout... although it was nice to have the track all to myself!

P.S. Thanks to all of those who have entered my giveaway. Next week I'll get some pictures up of exactly what you can win. It's been fun checking out some new blogs, welcome to my new followers! If you haven't entered yet, what are you waiting for? Click HERE. :P

(Oh, also, please don't make fun of my awesome diagrams. I spent a ridiculous amount of time on them. No, I don't run nekkid, even though I'm not wearing clothes in the pictures and I'm pretty sure I didn't lose half my body weight during the workout, even though my drawing would argue otherwise :P)


9 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

so the diagrams are pretty much the funniest thing I have ever seen. I love that you made them. And I really want to know what was up with the copper.

Zaneta said...

HAHAHA!!! LOVE your diagrams!! :D That is hilarious... some coppers are just plain creepy!

P said...

The diagrams are AWESOME!! I'm sure the po-po just wanted to make sure you were okay (and not on crack). Welcome to my side of 3 am, you rock for getting that track workout done so early! :-)

*~* *~* *~* *~* *~* Tracy said...

I think your diagrams are great!

Rae said...

What a funny story! Love your pictures. :)

Janet said...

Quite the story. I'm glad the cop didn't harrasse you. I don't always trust them late at night or ealry in the morning. I loved you pictures too !!

rubber7soul said...

Best. Diagrams. Ever.

I would also love to know what that cop was thinking.

runninglawyer said...

Loving the diagrams! I am sure the cops see all sorts of strange sutff happening at 4am, so he was just checking it out. Way to go on getting out there so early!

mike said...

Laurie,
I love this post! Please email me regarding an opportunity for you regarding my online magazine. nanette@thismothercanrun.com
Take care,
Nanette