Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mama Goes Masters 8.25 on 8/25

In honor of MCM Mama's 40th birthday, I participated in the Mama Goes Masters Virtual Race. Out of the several different race options, I chose to do 8.25 miles in honor of the special day itself. I chose this distance partly because it worked best with my current training schedule and partly because it is the longest distance I've ever raced... automatic PR baby! Whoo hoo!

So, the race started at 4:30am, which is a tad early in my opinion for a race, but who am I to contest the start time. Normally I would show up well before the gun went off, but this morning, I was running a bit behind and was barely brushing my teeth with only 2 minutes until gun time.
Luckily I had my pacer to keep me on track...
it wasn't long until we were both geared up and ready to head to the starting line.
Considering what an important race it was, I was surprised that there wasn't a bigger showing. I've never raced with the stroller before and was worried about being in the way, but had no problem lining up right in front. (Here's a lovely view of the start... straight up hill.)
Less than a mile in, we ran into a small snafu (who picked this route anyway) but the detour wasn't too bad and soon we were back on track.
Just a short while later (really a little over an hour) and we were done. It was a little too dark for any race pics. I was hoping to get one at the halfway point when I crossed the river, but I was in a groove and didn't want to pause for a photo that probably wouldn't have turned out anyway. Nothing too eventful happened, although there was a biker that crashed the course and tried to run us over after blinding us with his headlamp. Could he seriously not see the stroller?! It has so much reflection it lights up like a Christmas tree.

My pacer got a bit bored of the scenery and opted to rest a bit (and by a bit, I mean about 8 miles).
Although the paparazzi missed the finish line, they were happily waiting to snap this lovely post race photo. (See what I mean about the stroller... it practically glows!)
My pacer seemed a bit disappointed in the run at first
but then I realized he was just puckering up for a nice post race (can you say uber sweaty?) congratulatory kiss.
All-in-all it was a good run/race and leaves me feeling pretty excited about my upcoming race in a week. My main goal was to try and find my half-mary goal pace (8:00+/-) and stick with it to see how it felt. Here's a look in numbers:
I tried really hard to track my individual mile splits, but it just didn't work out. (I hate that the Nike Sensor & coordinating application doesn't do that for me.) With a total distance of 8.29 miles (again, who picked this course?!), and a finishing time of 1:04:14, I averaged 7:45/mile which is pretty exciting because my goal was 8:00 and it didn't kill me. :P

So... Happy (slightly belated) Birthday to Ms. MCM Mamma, I hear 40 is a great number to be... enjoy! Thanks for organizing this race.

12 comments:

Zaneta said...

I love your race report! :D and the prize at the end was super cute (the kiss) :D Great job too by the way! You are way faster than me!! lol..

I also hate that nike+ doesn't keep track of splits :( dissappointing for sure!

misszippy said...

Your little pacer is the cutest! Loved your race report.

k2323 said...

Great report! Your baby is adorable! You are totally going to rock the Eugene Women's Half. Wish I could be down there to do it too (we'll be in Dayton at the Wine Country Half, oh well!)

Runners Fuel said...

Adorable pacer!

runninglawyer said...

LOVE this race report. Such a cute way of explaining it! You are a speedy Gonzales! And your pacer is adorable. Congrats!

track coach and adorable wife said...

You are such a super woman for running a race with such a heavy pacer! Although he is super cute!

Heather said...

You look great! So does your pacer. This post was very amusing!! Thanks.

(And thanks for commenting earlier. I was beginning to think my blog was "broke".)

AshleyR said...

Love the report!

Emz said...

Ok. You my friend. Are seriously amazing.

Fabulous.

racing dawn said...

Could you be any cuter? And that baby...so sweet. Love sleeping pacers! Mine always dozes off a mile or so in - so great! Way to go on the super fast run!

P said...

Hee, hee, hee!!! This race report is AWESOME! Your pacer is so adorable and holy moly you are one fast mama! Congrats on your PR! :-)

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Super fast! I'm hoping to get started with the jogging stroller now that my other 2 are in school, but it slows me waaaaaaay down.

Congrats on the super speedy run and finishing kiss! How sweet.