Sunday, August 8, 2010

Good Times

Camping was just what we needed. After 3 years of law school and several pretty intense months of bar prep, we were happy to celebrate as a family by heading to the coast for some much needed R&R. It was great! We spent a beautiful (albeit windy) day at the beach.

We also had the opportunity to visit "Higgins RD" which was named for my husband's grandparents. We even went to see their old "homestead", where we were slightly harassed by the local yokels, who felt we were trespassing.
Then on Saturday morning, I finished the weekend up with a beautiful run from our campground. I started off heading into the sunrise,
before turning into this slightly creepy forested path.
I'll have to admit that I was a little bit nervous at first because I told Dan I wasn't going to take the trail and it was kind of spooky but then it opened up to some amazing views and I was glad I took it.
I could really get into trail running. Even though I managed to roll both ankles within a matter of 4 steps (don't worry, nothing a few yards of slightly hobbled running couldn't cure) it was a great time, definitely a good change of pace from running around my 'hood.


This is the Hughes House that was at the end of my trail. Kind of a cool, yet somewhat creepy old house. (I could just imagine some type of ghosty thing eerily gazing out one of the upstairs windows at me... oooooo). Apparently it's on the national registry of historic homes.
Anyway, it was a great weekend. Camping (if you can really call staying in a cabin camping) was a good time, although its amazing how much laundry 6 people can accumulate in just 3 days at the beach... better get back to that.

2 comments:

track coach and adorable wife said...

Ok so maybe it isn't technically camping, but doing anything close to "roughing it" with small kids is tough. I have always been too scared to take my boys camping because my 3 yr old would walk right out the tent at night! Glad you had fun, and that is a beautiful, if not somewhat creepy run!

Tressa
http://trackcoach-tressaabe11.blogspot.com/

AshleyR said...

Sounds like a great way to celebrate the end of law school. I would love to run on that trail. I used to roll my ankles a lot when I started. It takes a good long while for your ankles to strengthen enough to keep the rolling to a minimum. Now if I roll an ankle it's because I wasn't paying attention and it usually doesn't even affect my stride.