Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gone Fishing


My senior year of high school I had a great coach for cross country and track, Coach Ron Smith. During his career at Henley High School, in Klamath Falls, Oregon, he coached the girls to 66 conference titles and 14 state titles (I think that might be just track too, he had even more if you factor in cross country). He was recently honored as the National Federation of State High School Coaches Association as Girls Track & Field Coach of the Year and I think he was well deserving. He had a contagious passion for running and I learned a lot from him. One of the "tricks" Coach Smith taught us during cross country was to "go fishing". In order to fish, while running, one merely casts out an invisible hook and line and attaches it to the runner's shirt just ahead. Then slowly, reel that runner in. After the runner is caught & passed, make sure to "cut" the line, so there will be no dead weight.

Yesterday, I took advantage of my husband's last week of freedom (he starts work the 16th... for the rest of his life) and slept in, which meant I got to run during the sunny hours of the day. There is so much more going on during the day, out there on the bike paths, and since the sun was up, I could actually see it. (So, how does this relate to my Coach Smith intro you ask? Be patient little ones... I promise it will connect.) There weren't too many runners out, I would assume most smart ones don't run at 1:30 in August (although it was fairly cool today) and all the rest probably have jobs that don't allow for running whenever they please... anyway, about halfway through my run, I did happen upon a girl running along at a decent pace a short distance in front of me. So, for whatever reason, I decided to use that trick Coach Smith taught me (told you it would cohere) and "go fishing" for that girl. I cast my line out and at first it I think she shook it off, but after trying again, it hooked nicely into the fuel belt she was wearing and I began reeling her in. This was kind of tedious at first and I didn't think I was going to be able to catch her, but with my double jogger acting as pulley she didn't have a chance. Of course, while I was busy fishing for her, I missed my 3 mile turn around point and ended up making a 6 mile run into almost 7, but that's okay, I had fun doing it.

5 comments:

Tricia said...

what a great trick

Janet said...

You are too funny. I love to read about your runs. You couldn't say too much about Coach Smith. Your sister really doesn't like running and he was the only one who could motivate her to do her best at that sport.

track coach and adorable wife said...

Look at you go with your stroller and all!

racing dawn said...

Love that trick! Actually works wonders on hills - other way around tho... the person is pulling you up the hill. Mind over matter...

P said...

I almost feel sorry for the poor girl who got passed by the stroller mom...almost. You ROCK!