Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ugh

That pretty much sums up my run today. To be completely honest it can be applied to my whole week of running thus far. I don't know what the deal is but mentally I'm just not in it. All the numbers are fine (mileage & pace), in fact they're pretty decent but I'm just not feeling it.

Today's run was especially lackluster and uninspiring. The weather was perfect, I ran one of my favorite routes, people I encountered were friendly but I just wasn't into it. I won a Road ID from Miss Zippy that I am still totally stoked about and I tried to distract myself by thinking of cool sayings to have engraved on it (one of my favorites, although I can't take credit for it and can't remember where I read it, (if its yours please claim it), is "suck it up, buttercup") but even that couldn't get me going mentally. It probably didn't help that I had to stop 30million times (okay only 3 times, but that's still way too many) to adjust my shoelaces. Not sure the problem there (probably in my head) but they just didn't seem right. My heals felt like they were slipping up and down so I'd lace them tighter, then they were too tight, then too loose... never did get it right. I contemplated turning around early but figured then my funky running mood would turn into a bad mommy mood (which is never a good thing) so I stuck it out. Anyway, that was this morning and tomorrow is a rest day, so hopefully I'll be recouped and remotivated by Saturday.

I did get my Road ID ordered (thanks again Miss Zippy!!) and ended up going with "Smile... this is fun!" which will probably be a good thing for me to keep in mind. Ultimately I'll have bad running days (or even weeks) but when it all comes down to it, I love doing it and it is fun. (Never hurts to remind myself though.) Happy Running everyone...

6 comments:

Heather said...

I know the feeling. I let my son come with to lift today. Apparently I needed him to harass me as motivation!!
YOu got it done though, so you should feel good now.

Teamarcia said...

I am so with you! I struggled for 5 freaking miles before I got in any kind of groove today--ugh is right! But you know what? The next run will be THAT much better!
Congrats on the Road ID--love your saying!

Alanna said...

Count me in for a crappy week - my head is just not in the right place... something I really need to get over quick since I'm 5 weeks into marathon training.

Here are my running-related infractions: skipped long run on Sun.(time issues), GI issues cut short Mon. run, skip Wed. tempo due to unusually hot (for us) weather.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone - you're far braver than I am for admitting it online. I just complain to my husband.

run4may said...

We all have "off" days and weeks. Hang in there like you already have been doing and it will get better soon. Congrats on the roadid. I recently won one as well and I absolutely love it.

Nicole Orriëns said...

You sound a bit like Goldilocks, getting the shoes to feel just right.

Maybe it just takes time, and then your runs will feel 'just right' again!

http://www.momshomerun.blogspot.com

Nicole Orriëns said...

You sound a bit like Goldilocks, getting the shoes to feel just right.

Maybe it just takes time, and then your runs will feel 'just right' again!

http://www.momshomerun.blogspot.com