Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Plea to Mr. Scowlyface

Are you one of those people that smiles at everyone they come across when they run? I'm not. I'm getting better though... I'm trying to be a friendlier runner... to make eye contact and take the initiative to smile & say good morning to everyone, not just those that smile at me.

That being said, there is a little old man who walks daily on one of the paths I frequent. I smile and nod at him every time I see him (usually twice a week) and he has never so much as even smirked in my direction. On the rare ocassion that he actually makes eye contact, it's with a look that says, "Don't you dare smile at me girlie!" Yet I do it anyway. Normally, it would really bother me that someone could be so indifferent & unfriendly, but because he is an "old" man I give him a little leeway. Sometimes little old men are just a bit grumpier than the average person. I tease my husband that he will be the grumpy old man in the neighborhood with a constant scowl on his face that all the kids are afraid of... as in, "Oh no! My ball just rolled into Old Man Higgins' yard. Now I'll never get it back. Let's hurry and run away before he finds out who lost it!" Poor me, I'll be the sweet little old lady that is constantly baking cookies for everyone but the kids will think I'm just trying to lure them in so "Mean Old Man Higgins" can growl at them and chase them away! (Sorry Dan, you know I love you and that I'm mostly joking.)

Anyway, back to Mr. Scowlyface on the bike path...
Maybe he has really poor eyesight and can't tell I'm smiling at him. Some days (since I usually see him on the way back from and out and back run) my smile might even look a bit grimacing. (It's harder to smile when it's all you can do to keep your legs going, but for Mr. Scowlyface I do it anyway.) Maybe he's worried that I will try to engage him in conversation, or maybe he's sleepwalking and doesn't even realize he's out walking every morning at such an early hour... As much as I should probably let it go and resign the fact the he just isn't a smiley person, I can't seem to do that. I think it has something to do with me always getting what I want (I'm slightly spoiled that way).

So, Mr. Scowlyface Man, (because I'm sure you read my blog... ha ha) I will continue to smile at you every time I pass you but I will not try to get you to talk to me nor will I try to wake you from your dreamlike state. I'm merely looking for a smile in return or at the very least a slight nod of your head if you're so inclined. If you don't want to be so obvious, maybe you could coordinate a sneeze as I approach. That would at least let me know you are aware of my friendliness and the fact that I am indeed out in the universe at the same time as you but you merely don't believe in smiling or offering any friendly gestures of your own. If you want my overzealous (as if I've ever been such a person) smiling to stop, Mr. Scowlyface Man, I'd even settle for a simple blink... the ball is in your court, I'll be watching and smiling.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I like the vision of yourself and your husband for the future. That is funny.
He may be sleepwalking, I sometimes think I may be sleep running.

Janet said...

Here's to Mr. Scowlyface. :o) I usually smile and say hi to most of the people I meet on the bike path but I don't really like to.

me/mom/NANA said...

It sounds like a personal challenge for you to smile even more to get him to smile back just once. The more you smile the better you will feel and even if he doesn't smile back it is fun to try, if for no other reason to make him dare you not to smile, "girly". What a fun game.

misszippy said...

You have the right idea...keep trying! He may surprise you one day. I always say hi/return smiles when I'm out there, unless I'm working so hard I have no breath left over for it!

AshleyR said...

Maybe Mr. Scowlyface does have bad eyesight and you need to give him a good strong, "Good morning! Beautiful day!"

Dick said...

I'm sorry to through pessimism in here, but he doesn't have poor eyesight. He's just a jerk. Flip him off and be done with it!! (Sorry, Laurie...I'm not quite as nice as your mother, and no where near as nice as Yvonne!)

It's interesting that you posted this...I ran into the same thing last night when I went for run.

Dick said...

Sorry about the spelling...it was supposed to be "throw" not "through".