Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Why I run with pepper spray...

In case you missed it, a few posts ago, I introduced you to Pepper, my new running partner. He makes me feel somewhat safer safer in the event I feel the need to stretch before I start the tempo portion of my run and there is someone like this guy:
sleeping (or in an alcohol induced coma) at the beginning of the trail. That way if he suddenly comes to and decides to fight through his hangover fog and go after the closest (or really only) person around, Pepper will have my back. (Sorry for the super blurry picture, you'd think I was the one who'd been drinking... in actuality, it was pouring and I was trying to take it super sneaky sneaky stalker style as to not provoke him if he did wake up.)

Pepper also helps me feel protected when I encounter cute and cuddly little creatures like this:
I swear that spider was as big as a small dog (bigger than a quarter at least) and just chilling in the middle of the bike path yesterday morning. I still feel like I have things crawling all over me when I look at the picture. It was seriously the biggest spider I have ever seen and really fuzzy... yuck! Although, it didn't say anything on the package specifically about it, I'm pretty sure Pepper would be able to help me out if the dog-spider tried to attack.

In non-silliness, my tempo run went quite well. I opted to run it on a one mile bark loop so that it would be easy to compare my splits. After a mile warm up and a quick (I really didn't want to hang around the homeless guy too long) stretching session my miles looked like this:
1 - 8:03
2 - 8:06
3 - 7:54
I was supposed to be hanging on to an 8:00 pace and I feel that I did fairly well. My legs felt pretty rested... I think slowing down my easy runs has helped with that. It started pouring towards the end of my 3rd mile which is probably why it was a bit faster, but overall I stayed fairly consistent, although slightly slower than I should've been. I'm really excited to be doing some speed work again and look forward to the improvements that it will hopefully make in my running.

Only 2 more days of school for Emme then it's vacay time... yippee!!

15 comments:

Janet said...

Good reason to take pepper along on your runs. Do you think we will ever see summer weather and not have to run in the rain? The first day of summer is Monday!!

Lindsey and Isaac said...

Is that the path by our apartments? I swear there is always some guy laying there, which freaks me out and I don't even go as early as you! I can't believe that spider! That is disgusting!! I still think you are so fast. My goal is 8 min.

gmontalvo13 said...

smart choice!

Angela said...

Oh, that guy would have scared me also and that spider gave me chills just looking at it. I can not stand spiders dead or alive yuck.

As for your run, those times are amazing. I did my speedwork out this morning also.

Tricia said...

smart lady

Heather said...

Spider definitely scarier than dude in my opinion.

I can't quite seem to get the hang of negative splits. You are doing well though!!

run4may said...

I told my work today that I am training for a marathon. Reason for the confession was b.c yesterday I changed into my running gear before leaving for the day for I wanted to run at a fp on my way home. They all then went into random stories about how unsafe and stupid it is for me to run at a fp. They talked about girls getting rapped and what not. So, b.c of them I will begin to carry my pepper spray with me for runs. Better safe than sorry.

AshleyR said...

That is probably a wolf spider. The fuzzy look is actually all her babies riding on her back. Very interesting spiders. I found one in my back yard once and took some great pics. Mom spider was about the size of a quarter. I accidentally grazed her with my water hose and all the babies scattered. It was cool to watch them all run back to mom. She sat and waited until they all came back then hightailed it out of the yard.

People creep me out more than bugs and animals. Being a trail runner I get my fill of bugs and spiders.

misszippy said...

You are smart! I used to carry pepper spray and over the years, I have become more and more complacent about running safety. Stupid on my part. And that is one serious spider!

Candice @ I Have Run said...

Great job on the tempo run! And I run with pepper spray for the exact same reason =)

Courtney said...

I completely understand why you run with pepper spray. There have been things that have happened on our paths before and I don't like to run alone anymore.

Jen said...

Great pace.... and that SPIDER IS HUGE!!!!!!!! I HATE spiders not to mention I am scared of them.

Teamarcia said...

I rely on pepper to have my back as well. One can hope. Nice pace!

guardyourselfnow.com said...

Pepper is now your best friend and judging by the events of your trail I can see why. Hot walkers are my very best friend while running I feel much safer knowing I have control of my life. Stay on target for 20 bucks I am safe. http://www.guardyourselfnow.com/hotwalkers.htm

N.D. said...

yikes! I would feel better w/ the pepper too! Have a great vacation - the view was beautiful!