Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Rookie Mistakes


I don't know how people can continuously run on treadmills. I opted to sleep in a bit this morning and go to the resort's workout room to give the treadmill a go. (The last time I ran on one, was long before I had kids... so at least 7 years!) I wanted to scope it out, because tomorrow morning I'm supposed to do a speed workout and I thought it might be best to do it on the ol' dreadmill since there aren't any tracks close by. Lucky for me, I decided, since I was going to use the treadmill this morning I may as well just do the 2 x 1600's on tomorrows agenda and then I wouldn't have to do inside running two days in a row. Let me tell you, that was a good call on my part... if I run inside on a treadmill again this year, it will be too soon! Again, I don't know how you treadmill runners do it. I think I would rather push a quadruple stroller (do they have those?) uphill in a sub-zero degree blizzard than run inside on that machine again! So, props to you, if treadmill running is your only option and you continue to do it... that is some serious dedication.

First off, I made some pretty big rookie mistakes:
#1. I took a water bottle, but forgot to take a towel and of course there were none in the room. No big deal right? I'm not that big of a sweater, shouldn't be too bad. Ha! I honestly don't think I've ever been so sweaty in my entire life! Part of that was from my next rookie treadmill mistake:
#2. I failed to turn on a fan or open any windows. In addition, I didn't think to close the blinds that were directly behind my torture device, oops, I mean treadmill. Can you say "holy hotness" and not in a good way! It was like running in a sauna.
#3. I didn't bring any music or turn on the TV. "It's only 5 miles with a couple mile repeats in the middle, I'll be fine" I said to myself. Wrong! Running 5 miles on a treadmill is even worse than running 5 miles around the track. All I had to stare at was a very dusty potted fern and a sign above the phone that said "For emergency use only. Dial 0 for front desk." Riveting, I know. Needless to say, it was a looooooong 5.
#4. I didn't know the conversion for treadmill mph pace to regular running pace. I was supposed to run my repeats at 7:33 but ended up doing them at 8mph and 8.5mph which it turns out equates to 7:30 and 7:04 pace (according to this chart... no wonder that second one left me pretty winded ;] ) and my recovery 800s at 6.5mph which is 9:14. I assumed the treadmill would have a "pace" button, but it didn't, which leads to my last rookie mistake:
#5. I didn't get to the room early enough to get my pick of the machines. The room opened at 7 and by the time I came strolling in there was only one treadmill to choose from (out of two) and it was definitely the bare bones model. It had a start& stop button, whereas the other machine being used by a 75 year-old walking man, who was trying to stay in shape while he waited for a kidney transplant, was the Cadillac of treadmills with more cool buttons & options than possibly needed. (Okay, fair enough he probably deserved it, but he was just walking, he could've done it outside and probably had more fun.)

Anyway, despite my rookie mistakes and all my whining I had a decent run. The treadmill was actually beneficial in the regard that it helped me to keep a consistent pace even if I wasn't quite sure what that pace was. :P However, I don't think I'll complain about doing my next speed workout at the track.

7 comments:

Tricia said...

great job!

and thanks for sharing that pace conversion chart, very interesting!

Angela said...

I'm not a big fan of treadmills either. I only use it when it's too cold outside or raining. I don't like to run in the rain. Great job on sticking it out though. If it had been me, I would have stopped long before you.

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AshleyR said...

I hate it when I have to resort to dreadmill running. It's the only time I'll listening to music while running. I did a long run on ours at home this winter and just wanted to die from boredom, even with a movie and music.

Heather said...

WHAT? There is pace conversion. I have never heard of such. I am going to check this out right now.
I recently made the painful decision to do my speedwork on the "dreadmill" as they have decided to lock up all the school tracks here this summer.
Seems like the boredom from staring at a dusty plant was more painful that the actual jogging. Good job for keeping at it.

P said...

I'm impressed that you finished a run that dull - great job! I've run on a treadmill exactly once and hope to never do it again, blech!

Stephanie said...

Amen! Treadmills are SO boring and I got super sweaty, too. I was stuck with only that option when we were living up on "the butte" where it was literally a 30 degree hit in either direction and Jake's schedule was crazy. I MUCH prefer having scenery going by and the wind in my face.