Monday, June 7, 2010

New Running Partner

Most of the time I run it is by myself, early in the morning. The only time I'm not running alone is when I take Bob and the two littlest ones. I usually feel pretty safe and pick my routes accordingly but some concern about my safety has been brought up by... well mostly my mom & mother-in-law (wouldn't be moms if they didn't worry their kids) so I found myself a new running partner. His name is Pepper. He's a little bit shy but I managed to get a couple of shots of him while we were out today:




I wasn't sure how I would like running with Pepper as I'm not a big fan of holding things in my hand while running, but it wasn't so bad. Pepper is actually marketed as "The Runner" and has a nice elastic band that straps around my hand so I really didn't have to hold him at all. I took him for an easy 6 mile spin and after about a mile I all but forgot he was there. He's a pretty good partner, he lets me pick the pace and doesn't babble on and on or breathe really loudly or crowd me off the path. He does however make me feel a little bit safer. I'll probably run with Pepper most mornings as my training begins to take me further from home on longer, and therefore, earlier runs. I suppose sometimes it would be nice to have a real running partner but for now I think Pepper and I will get along just fine.

5 comments:

P said...

Hee, hee! Glad you like your new running partner! It's always a good idea to be safe on your runs...may you never have to use it.

Angela said...

I have that same pepper spray but I call mine the jogger and usually keep it in my fuel belt and only pull it out when I'm coming up on a house that I know the dogs are running wild, not in their proper fences. I got the spray for dogs because I live in an area where dogs mainly run free and I've been chased numerous times by them.

me/mom/NANA said...

I am really really excited about your new partner and feel a lot better about your runs now. Thanks for getting pepper.

Janet said...

Hey, you are really a nut!! Anyway, glad you got the partner, but I will still worry about those really early morning runs. Like P said, "May you never have to use it".

momof3 said...

Love it! My dog (Desi), BOB & I run together all the time, but my H, and my Father, and Mother, and Step-Mother, along with other random people I know seem to think I need to find a new running partner like Pepper.