Thursday, June 24, 2010

Last Day of Vacay


So, that's it, our vacation is over. Well, not officially, we still have until noon to check out and then the drive home, but it's as good as over. I'm sad to go because we had a fun time but at the same time it will be good to be home... I haven't seen my husband in a week, I kind of miss him... a lot. :/

I'm also looking forward to running at home again. Nothing makes me appreciate my tried and true running routes like a week of trying to create new running routes in nothing more than small coastal neighborhoods and busy Highway 101 (think curvy, coastal highway). That being said, I had a nice little 5 mile run today along said highway, which really wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't so many logging trucks. Which leads me to this question, if you are forced to run along a busy road, where cars are going way too fast, do you feel it is safer to run in an extra wide shoulder with traffic sneaking up behind you, or on a narrower shoulder where you can play chicken with the oncoming cars?

Which side to run on wasn't such a dilemma for me this morning, but the other day when I went on my long run, I was faced with that problem. I, however chose option C, which was run on the other side of the guardrail and take my chances with the sloping hillside and poison oak. I would imagine that option D, though, is the best... when forced to choose between two unsafe running situations find somewhere else to run! Like I said before, it will be good to be home.

4 comments:

gmontalvo13 said...

there's no place like home!

welcome back...almost! :)

Angela said...

I always run towards the traffic. I want to see the car that's going to try and take me down, LOL!!! Sorry that your vacay is already over but I'm just like you, I love to go on vacation but I'm even more excited to get back home and get to normal.

misszippy said...

It's always great to get away, and always great to go home too. Glad you had a nice trip!

P said...

I don't mind running the same direction as traffic, especially when the shoulder is wider. But I think you're right - the sloping hillside and poisonous plants were a better bet than speedy, inattentive drivers! Welcome (almost) home!