Monday, June 28, 2010

Happy Running... or not

Do you ever have something seemingly little happen, that really shouldn't bother you, but totally ruins your mood? Let me start at the beginning...

I did not want to run today. I stayed up too late, got up one too many times in the middle of the night and was tiiiiired... but I did. My run started off okay. I decided to run along the riverbank trail, which was a good choice, it's a beautiful path. As I ran along, I started feeling better and was glad that I was out running. To make it even better, someone had brought some sidewalk chalk along the trail and left little messages and funny pictures. For example, they had turned a brick median into a giant ice cream cone and another one into a hot dog and bun. Several of their messages said, "Great job, Dude!", "Exercise makes you happy!", and on the underpass of a bridge they wrote "Jesus Hearts Bridge Trolls". They also made rocks into little creatures like this one:

I couldn't help but smile and all of a sudden I was super happy to be on my run and was feeling great... excited about the day! There were even a couple of bikers that came up behind me when I was about to take a fork in the road and instead of ringing theirs bell at me or yelling "on your left" they smiled and said good morning and apologized for cutting me off. Then two blocks from home, I came across one of the coolest fire hydrants I've ever seen. Much better than plain yellow, don't you think?
However, literally 20 steps from my front door, I came up to a lady walking her big hairy dog down the sidewalk while talking to her biker friend in the bike lane. As she heard me approach, she politely moved herself and her dog into the grass. As I passed I smiled and said "thank you". She didn't say anything and after I was by she and her companion began laughing. I turned the corner to my house and stopped to overhear them as they passed talking about how ridiculous I was and basically my audacity to thank her for moving her dog and how they couldn't believe that I felt I owned the sidewalk especially when her dog was on a leash. They went as far as saying to the dog, "how does that make you feel [fido... can't remember the ugly dog's name] to have that silly girl be afraid of you?" WHAT?!? I'm still irritated about it. I didn't ask them to move their stinky mutt and I surely didn't have to thank them for doing so. The more I think about it now, the more upset it makes me (I'm like my dad that way). I know I should let it go (and I will, especially now that I've vented) but it really put a damper on my whole happy run. :(

8 comments:

Angela said...

That is just terrible for her to say something like that. I would have said Thank You also as I passed. Some people are just plain dumb.

Heather said...

She is the one who is ridiculous. I don't understand why she had anything to say about your politeness.
(Do you carry mace? Next time. Ok. Only joshing!)

P said...

The irony of this situation is that your "Thank you" really should have made her day! Seriously, how many times do you do something polite only to have people not thank you for it? UGH! That situation would irritate me, too, sorry it bummed your happy run. :(

Courtney said...

Some people are just so incredibly rude and ridiculous.

rubber7soul said...

I usually have moments of anger when I encounter people like that, but ultimately I feel sad for them. They must be very insecure people to feel the need to put others down to build themselves up.

Nicole Orriƫns said...

Isn't it odd how all those lovely things you encountered on your run got lost in the unpleasantness of your last encounter.

Why is it the bad things touch us so much deeper than the good things?!

I hope you can get back to all the great things you experienced during your run.

Perhaps you can take some chalk and write your own message for that stupid woman, on that beautiful path.

http://www.momshomerun.blogspot.com

run4may said...

Oh... that is upsetting.

Lindsey and Isaac said...

Wow, that is a bunch of rude things to say!! That's crazy. You are so good to keep your running up over vacation too! I was reading your previous post and noticed Emmeline doesn't really want to be called Emme anymore...and then I called her Emme today, especially after she pushed my stroller all the way over here! Tell her sorry and I'll remember now. :)