Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sweet Escape

I went for a run last night at 9pm. I may call it a run, but in actuality it was an escape... an escape from my house, an escape from my kids (even though they were already quite asleep, I still felt the need to get away from them), an escape from the sickness that seems to be hovering like a putrid fog in our home... yes, my run was much more than just a run it was a sweet, sweet escape. Had I not gone for that run when I did, I fear that my brain would've, quite honestly, imploded... it had been that kind of day (if you couldn't tell from my overly dramatic "escape" opening).

It was my first run since last Saturday and although physically it didn't feel all that great, nor was it very long or very fast, emotionally it was just what I needed. Just that short amount of time by myself to clear my head as I literally ran into the sunset made it so that I will be able to cope with all (well at least most) of the "fun" this long weekend will bring. I won't run today or tomorrow, but hope to get back into the full swing of things (well, at least to run all week) beginning Monday.

Next Saturday, I have my first "official" race (of the non-virtual type), post baby. It's just a little 5K close to where my parent's live and I can't even check previous years' results so I have no idea what to expect. Emme and Calvin will be participating in a 1/2 mile kids' run and they are super excited... it should be fun to watch how they do. My dad is running it too (the 5K not the kids' run), be he is just getting back into shape after a pretty long hiatus, so I'm not sure what his goals are.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure what my goals are either. Before taking all of this past week off, I was hoping to run it really fast and PR... maybe even place in my age group (this will be my first race in the 30-34 group), or better. Now, I'm merely hoping to be in a condition by next Saturday where I can run it and at least feel good for doing so... I'm pretty sure unless something drastic happens over the next 6 days a PR is out of question. I guess I'll just have to see how things go.


5 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

I'm sure you will do awesome next week! Just look how great you did at my virtual race!

Tricia said...

sounds like a great escape

run4may said...

I wonder how quickly one can train for something? I am in the same boat. I had an awesome running week, last week but this week it seemed to be the last thing on my list every day. That's not how I wanted it to be but that's life, unexpected. But, I am sure you will do great. I think you will surprise yourself. Good luck and can't wait to hear about the race.

N.D. said...

sounds like a well needed run! I need one of them :)

P said...

I ran my 5K PR just one week after my last marathon (which was a disaster). You never know which way race day will go, but for your sake I hope it goes well!! Maybe it will feel like another sweet escape. :-)