Saturday, May 22, 2010

Rock Your Socks Virtual 10K Report

I had a lot of fun getting ready for this virtual race hosted by TMB at Racing with Babes. The best part was picking my best race day outfit. Since I'm a fairly large connoisseur of somewhat funky knee socks, the first task was to choose which sock & shoe combo to go with:

It took a while, but, with my husband's help I got it narrowed down to two possible winners:
And the ultimate winner was:
"SUPERSTAR!!"

Here are a couple more goofy pictures showing off the socks. (thanks to my awesome photographer!)


And how does one preparing to race her first ever 10K fuel? By devouring See's Candy of course!

Anyway, I suppose I should actually give you some running report, not just the fashion. I took off this morning a little after 5:30 and did a 1 mile warm up to the starting line, where I reset my Nike+ sensor, waited for the cross walk to give me the go-ahead. Then I was off. It was a typically, beautiful spring day here in Eugene (i.e. rain & gray skies) but kind of cool... good thing I was wearing those socks to keep my legs warm!

I didn't have any real expectations. Since I have only ever raced 5Ks, my race strategy was to run twice as far twice as fast... ha ha just kidding! My plan, however, was to get a pace that was slightly uncomfortable and try to stick with it. Ultimately, I was hoping to have that uncomfortable pace somewhere in the vicinity of low 8s so that I could then finish under 50 minutes. During my last virtual race, I got hung up on checking my watch for time/pace/distance every couple of strides, so I promised myself this time I wouldn't check until halfway through. This made for a much more pleasant run. At the 5K mark, my time was 25:33... pretty much right where I was hoping to be. As I crossed the bridge (just over half way) I thought it would be good if I could negative split the race and finish in at least 49 minutes. I felt pretty good. The socks felt great! My only concern was that all the water on the path was splashing up on them and I feared, leaving terrible muddy spots :( (how superficial am I?).

There weren't many people out this morning... surprisingly enough I think most like to sleep in a bit later than 6am on Saturday! There were a whole bunch of goslings in the park and I thought about fishing my phone out of my sports bra (yep, that's where I keep it when I'm sans stroller) and taking a picture but instead I sped along towards the finish line. I could sense it getting closer! I checked my time again with just over a mile to go and realized that I'd have to really book it (i.e. under 7min pace) for the last mile to break 50 minutes. Needles to say, it didn't happen. I did come close though, and finished with a time of 50:28. Yay, PR! PR by default, but a PR nonetheless! Here's a screen shot of my results from Nike:
All in all, it was a great day for a race and a super fun race at that. Thanks TMB!! I finished it off with another mile cool down and headed home to start the weekend with my family.

It turns out my fear of spotty socks wasn't unfounded...
Well, at least I rocked them!

11 comments:

me/mom/NANA said...

Great job, great report, great photos. A job well done again. We are very proud of you for all you do.

Tortuga_Runner said...

OMG I'm am the biggest See'scandy fan. Great pre-race fuel! Great report, great Pics and good job on the PR;)

MCM Mama said...

Love it! Great job!

Barefoot AngieB said...

Great race and I love the color combo of your shoes and socks! My favorite colors!

C~~O~~U~~R~~T~~N~~E~~Y said...

So cute!!

EricaH said...

That is quite a collection you have there, great race day choice if I do say so. :)

Great job and you were right on with your goal. Congrats on the PR

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Awesome race! I love all of your socks and I really love that you coordinated down to your shoes!

autumn said...

congrats on your awesome race! and i realize now you talked about your phone in this post and not the other one...
ps i love your socks!

Dick said...

Good job on your 10k Laurie! Is Emme as fanatical about shoes and socks as you are?

Great choice on the pre-race fuel! It's probably a good thing we don't have a See's store in Klamath, or I'd be as big as an elephant!

Janet said...

I finally looked at your blog. You have been concerned about color coordinating since you were 2!! You have perfected the art. Good job on the race.

Sarah said...

Congratulations on the PR! I love that you included your race graph....I'm obsessed with that feature of Nike+!