Thursday, May 20, 2010

Happy Runner

Early this morning, before I went running, I happened to read Amy's post on Runner's Lounge, "Share Your Joy for Running". If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. Assuming you didn't just click on the link to read it, let me summarize... before you go running, take some time to think about why it is that you are running, that you aren't doing it because you have to, and also about your latest running accomplishment. Then, while running let those good feelings shine! Smile and say hi to all the other runners you encounter and see what happens... (I didn't do it justice, you should really read it for yourself.)

So, this morning, I did that. Even though I didn't quite feel it when I left, I pretended to be the happy runner. Although I didn't encounter many others, it was early and pouring down rain after all, I did smile and say hello to those I did see. You know what happened... most of them probably thought I was crazy, if they could even see me through the rain... ha ha. However, I felt good. I didn't think about how incredibly soaked and cold I was, well that's not true, I did think about it, but then I smiled and it really helped. No one was making me go and run around in the rain like a crazy person, I was doing it because I could, because I wanted to and because more than anything I enjoy it. Sometimes I think I forget why it is I run, I get caught up in getting the mileage in, getting my training in, getting a PR... when in actuality I run because it makes me happy. I'm a happy runner.

Oh, I'm almost forgot. Don't forget to enter my giveaway... it ends today! Winner will be announced tomorrow. Click HERE!

6 comments:

Heather said...

That is a good point. I'll go read it.

AshleyR said...

I always go out of my way to say hi to everyone while I run. Every now and then I'll miss someone if I'm running with a partner and we are deep in conversation. But alone I speak to everyone, even if I'm doing speed work and can barely push the words out of my mouth. I get ignore only 25% of the time but I don't mind. Human connection, even with strangers on your run, is what makes life worth living. If saying hi to someone makes even the smallest difference in their day then I've accomplished something great.

run4may said...

I ran my first half with a running friend I met at a running club. He made a great effort to encourage the runners we passed during the race and thanked all the volunteers. I think you are addressing a very good and often forgotten way to cheer-up someones day. And it's so simple. Thank you for sharing.

p.s I also ran in the pouring rain.

Madison M. said...

I agree with the statement that when you pass by other runners to take a second and smile and say hello.. When others do that to me it totally brightens up my morning run and even when I say good morning to others it makes me feel happy as well! I love running it puts me in such a great mood.. Specially when your having one of those really really good runs! :)

Natalie D said...

I Love that idea!! :)

the lambrights said...

i've learned to love saying 'hi' to other people when i'm on a run. when they actually respond it makes the run so much better.