Sunday, April 18, 2010

Super Hero


As I was nursing Jonny early this morning I was thinking about how cool it would be to have some sort of super hero power. (I tend to have pretty random thoughts in the wee hours of the day... probably something about only being partly awake, also I was sleeping in a superman t-shirt and thinking how I so didn't feel like a super mom.)

Anyway, I was trying to decide, if the super hero fairy granted me a free super power wish, what power I would like to have. As a runner, some super speed or endurance power could be beneficial. As a stay at home mom, maybe something like the mom on the Incredibles, where she is super stretchy... sure makes housework look like a breeze, or the power of all-knowing... could come in useful when my kids are teens (of course maybe it would be better not to know some things). Other powers, like invisibility or the ability to fly, maybe being able to breathe under water appealed to me too. There are just so many to chose from...

I finally decided that the best power to have would be something more along the lines of Bruce Willis in Unbreakable where I wouldn't be able to get hurt or sick. I think that could be beneficial to both running and being a mom. Right now, my kids are in the recovery stages of a really nasty cold and Dan & I are just coming down with it. I feel miserable. There is nothing worse than trying to take care of mostly healthy, super active kids, when you feel like garbage. Instead of making breakfast and getting things ready for the day I'd much rather be hiding under the sheets for hours on end. As for running, just when I'm getting going my body is trying to fight of this nasty strain of preschool funk (yes that is a technical term, there is nothing more resistant to healing than a virus brought home from slimy preschoolers) and probably won't take too kindly if I try to increase (or even maintain) my mileage. If I was an unbreakable I could run forever without detriment to my body and I'd never get sick... maybe not even tired, so taking care of my kids would be a breeze... well, at least a lot easier. So, Mr./Ms. Super Hero fairy (I know you exist) next time you make it out to Eugene, I'd gladly take a super power. I promise only to use my new power for good and I won't exploit my super mom abilities.

What super power would you like to have and how would you use it? Feel free to leave a comment and let me know, I'm sure you've all thought about how cool it would be to have some sort of super power...

6 comments:

me/mom/NANA said...

I want a super power too. I want the ability, time and money to spend with and on my grandchildren and never get sick or tired so that I might keep up with the grandchildren. So Laurie, if you find that the super power fairy is coming to Eugene, please let me know. I am willing to come to her.

Janet said...

I think I would like to have a body that was impervious to pain. As one gets older the body doesn't work like it used to. If I didn't have any pain I'm sure I could be doing lots of the active things(like running) that I used to...and it wouldn't hurt to go that extra mile.

Lindsey and Isaac said...

We could use some of the "no getting sick" super power too. Wow, that would be nice! Hope your cold doesn't last too long!

Elizabeth said...

I bet if you asked your kids they would tell you what an awesome super mom you are. I think all moms have super powers develop during pregnancy. How else do you explain the strength and ability to give birth, the ability to function on no sleep, or the ability to love so unconditionally.

Now that said... I would wish for a super amount of patience and the ability to stretch time (I never have enough).

Marci said...

If you had a super power like that racing wouldn't even be fun because when you beat everyone you'd feel like a cheater. It seems like it would kind of feel like racing against 6-year-olds. Besides, running without pain wouldn't even be fun. I think that the power that I need is to have motivation. Either that or maybe I just need some super cool running shoes like yours.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

due to all my work travels, I just wish I could transport msyelf places!! Then I could see the world and be home with my hubs or take him with me!