Friday, April 16, 2010

New Addiction

I'm pretty sure that I've posted several times about my running addiction. Well, during the time I wasn't running (the past several months), I became addicted to reading about other people running. There are so many running blogs out there. I think I could seriously spend all day reading them (much to the neglect of my children and house). It's so great, I go to one blog and find links to 20 others. I don't mean to do it, usually I get on her to write something witting and fascinating (like I'm known to do ha ha) but instead start checking up on the blogs I like and then get drawn into reading a bunch of blogs I haven't read before... it honestly could go on forever. Luckily, we only have one computer and Dan takes it with him to work and school. So, when he and the computer are away I am able to accomplish some things. Anyway, the best thing to do with any addiction is to come clean, so that's what I'm doing. My name is Laurie and I am addicted to running and running blogs and even better running giveaways on running blogs. Speaking of, check out this one for awesome compression socks at Lil Runners blog and some other really great ones on my new sidebar.

In more running news, I got another run in yesterday. It's been really hard for me to pace myself, I'd really like to get out there every day but I'm making myself jump in more slowly. This week I'm doing an every other day thing then I'll slowly start increasing both my mileage and frequency. Currently, I've been running early by myself but once Jonny is a bit older and I'm more up to speed I'll go with Leona, Jonny and our new best buddy BOB (the double stroller). I like my early morning runs, but yesterday I was out before 5am and it was just a bit too dark. Running in the dark greatly limits my route options, so yesterday I ended up running a much hillier route then I was probably ready for. When running with the kids and the stroller I'll have a lot more freedom, not to mention more sleep, which is always a good thing.

I signed up for another race, well, my dad signed me up and paid the entry fee (never turn down a free race) thanks Dad! This one is a 5K at Lake of the Woods on June 5th. It should be a good run. There is also a half mile kids run that Emme is going to do. Just for running she'll get a race shirt and a finisher's ribbon. She is so excited! I'm excited for her too! But enough about her, back to me... so, after running 2 total times post pregnancy, I'm now registered for 3 races. A virtual 5K on May 5th with Tall Mom's Virtual Race for the Cure, the 5K on June 5th and my first Half-Marathon on September 5th. (wow, that's a lot of 5th's) I will be looking into some more races too as the summer progresses. Right now I'm contemplating between a 5K in Portland with my mother-in-law and her sisters or the 6.7 Crater Lake Rim Run with my parents (both on Aug. 14th). My half-marathon training officially starts June 15th, which I'm looking forward to, it helps me to have some structure in my running. On Aug 14th, I have a 13 miler scheduled so maybe I should consider running the half-marathon at Crater Lake and treat it as training (it just might kill me though) probably I'll do one of the shorter races and add a few more miles during the day.

Anyway... Running is good. Racing is good. I feel good. Life is good.

5 comments:

Janet said...

Life is Good !! Glad you're happy :o)

N.D. said...

It's motivating to read about running. Is that a double jogger on the side - which do you have? do you love it?

EricaH said...

Hi Laurie my name is Erica and I to am addicted to reading running blogs. :) Glad your back out and running. :)

Running Diva Mom said...

Just found you through TMB -- great blog!

Alanna said...

I too am addicted to reading running blogs! Hopefully people will read mine too (and find something in it they can identify with)... Thanks for making me realize I'm not the only one! :)