Wednesday, April 21, 2010

3rd Time is a Charm

Some days you just have bad runs. I don't exactly know why it is. I'm sure there are a number of things that can contribute to a sub par experience... maybe you're tired, maybe the weather is worse than crappy, maybe your favorite route is under construction... whatever the reason, I'm sure everyone experiences runs that just aren't very good.

Yesterday and the day before my runs just sucked. There's really no other way to put it. I came home from both of them and almost felt like they had been a complete waste of time. I wasn't really more tired than normal and can't say anything contributed to them feeling like bad runs, they just were. From start to the finish it just didn't go well. I hate having bad runs, especially when they are early morning runs because it sets the tone for the rest of the day. Usually after I run I feel energized and happy and I have a much better time combating whatever my kids throw at me (mostly figuratively but perhaps a little literally too) throughout the day. When my running goes poorly my day seems to follow stride.

Today I had planned to take a rest day but when I was feeding Jonny early this morning I was surfing blogs (told you I'm addicted) and read Amy's post at Runner's Lounge. If you clicked on the link and read the article, you will see (in addition to the fact that I stole her blog title) that, at the bottom of it she said, "I hope you have the chance today to get out there and run just because you can." It's like she was talking right too me. So, instead of taking today off, I put the littlest one back to bed and grabbed my dirty running clothes off of the top of the laundry pile (don't judge me, I didn't want to wake anyone up while searching for clothes to wear... I knew where the dirty ones were... they were just going to get dirty again anyway... I know, it's still pretty gross) and headed out the door. Maybe it was just being in the right frame of mind, but today's run was just what I needed to get back the euphoria of running I was feeling last week. Nothing special about it, it just worked today (despite the "recycled" running clothes). Some days are bad for running but most are good. I never know when the bad days are going to come, but they do, they come and then they go and they are replaced by runs that make me feel great, which I think is why I continue to run.

On a side note, I enjoyed reading about your super powers, they were all great. Probably one of my favorites was from Amanda at Run to the Finish. She said that she wished she could just transport herself places. This is actually one I've thought of before too. Usually it is when I'm on a road trip with the kids and I wish we could take a "warp zone". It would be so cool. As for Marci's comment, I hate to brag but I do have some pretty cool running shoes... I love them, they keep me motivated. Look for an upcoming post dedicated to them...

Oh, I can't believe I forgot, I won a giveaway today!! TMB at Racing with Babes is hooking me up with a box of Clif Bars and an itunes gift certificate... how lucky am I? Two great things, food and music... life is good (thanks TMB!!). Don't forget to check out other awesome giveaways on my sidebar. Maybe you can be a winner too.

7 comments:

Barefoot AngieB said...

Just found your blog! I am a mom to 4 also! I have 4 boys.
Hope your next run is lovely and just right!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Running is such a head game. The right frame of mind can make all the difference!

Judi said...

Cheers to you for getting out!

runblackgirlrun.com said...

Runner's world had a quote the other day about making the decision to associate pain or pleasure with anything you wanted. Not that you were equating pain to running (although sometimes I do...smile!) but just saying you make a decision what the run is going to be.

By you deciding to get up, put on those dirty clothes (I've sooooo done this before, not judging at all), and just go for it, you made the decision to have a good run...and you did. Good job, and hope you have plenty more where that came from =P

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

hehe glad you liked my comment!! I am going to take that advice with me on my long run tomorrow...run because I can

momof3 said...

I did that the other day - just ran because I could, and it was like "running therapy". I am glad you could do some self therapy. And honey, as Mom of 3, I don't judge anyone who grabs an occasional dirty for a run... it could happen to anyone! (when I run in the AM, I stage everything the night before downstairs, and truly, I feel like a teenager SNEAKING OUT OF THE HOUSE as I tip toe out the sliding glass doors!)

Tara said...

Congrats on your giveaway win!

I usually feel pretty inspired by reading other people's blogs too. Usually, I will surf (I'm addicted too!) and it will make me WANT to get out for a run.
Have a great weekend!