Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Race & The Runt

There is a race that I would like to do. It is the Eugene Women's Half Marathon. I've never raced anything longer than a 5K and I think it could be a lot of fun. It isn't until Labor Day Weekend, which should give me enough time to have the baby and get back into pretty decent shape. Registration began last weekend and is open up until race day or until the race quota of 2500 participants is met. The race fee doesn't begin increasing until May, so at least I have some time to think about it (i.e. have the baby and see how running is going). I'm not sure what appeals to me so much about it, maybe it's the fact that right now I'm not running and it would give me something to look forward to or maybe it's, the promise that "Participants can expect a race experience unlike other typical road races. Unrivaled schwag bags, an AVEDA finish line experience at Gervais Day Spa, delicious chocolate, bubbly champagne - what more could a girl want?" I don't know, sounds pretty good to me... too bad I don't drink though. Anyway, I think it could be a good time. It is unfortunately on a Sunday, it seems most really good races are, which is a pretty big strike against it... do I really want to skip out on church to run a race longer than I have ever run before? Seems like I might need all the help I can get. On the other hand, since church doesn't start until 10:20 and the race begins at 8am, maybe, just maybe I could run fast enough to get the race in, enjoy a bit of the spa action and still be in the pew in time that my kids wouldn't realize what a bad example I'm being...

In other news, Leona turned 18 months old yesterday and had her big check up today. She is still a runt, and a grumpy one at that. I knew things weren't going to go well when she started whimpering as we left the waiting room to go to the exam room. The tears really began falling as the nurse measured her head and she was full out screaming by the time I got her undressed and onto the table for height and weight. Despite all her protests, they did manage to get her all checked out and even get in a couple of booster shots. Her head is still small (15th percentile), she weighs a whopping 20 1/2 pounds (5th percentile) and tops the height chart in the 50th percentile at 33 1/2 inches. I haven't posted any pictures for a while, so here is one of the little monster pre-meltdown in the waiting room. I tried to get a cuter one of her actually smiling and reading the book she brought, but she really wasn't in a cooperative mood today.

Of course while we were at the doctor's, they stressed the importance of being super watchful with Leona at this age. The three main things to be concerned about, the doctor said, are burns, falls, and choking. Apparently Leona thought it would be prudent to test that out. Not too long after being home, she managed to swallow a dime. I didn't see it happen, but I heard her kind of choking and crying. Emme tried to stop her, but to no avail. Needless to say, I felt like a wonderful mother when I had to call the doctor only hours after being lectured about making sure all small items are out of reach. Long story, short, she should be fine, I just have to change her regularly. (Get it, CHANGE her... ha ha, I'm so funny.)

Things are going well for Emme & Calvin. Emme is taking an after school art class that begins tomorrow and is quite excited. She is definitely happiest when she is drawing, painting, coloring or cutting something. I realize I'm pretty biased, but she seems to be pretty talented. I'll have to post a picture of a couple penguins she drew, they are, no kidding, better than anything I could do (although that isn't saying too much). Calvin is happiest when hanging out with his daddy. Since, Dan still is on break, he has been able to do a fair amount of that and is absolutely eating it up. I'm pretty sure he will be genuinely disappointed when Dan finally goes back to school next week. Dan and I, on the other hand (well at least I am) are quite excited to get this final semester of law school going and over with... hurray, the end is in sight.

5 comments:

Janet said...

The run sounds like it would be a good thing to look forward to as long as your body is ready. Little Leona is just destined to be cute and petit.

Tom North said...

I would say go for the run! If all you've ever done is a 5k I'd say its time to step it up and what better way than by doing a half marathon. Janna did one and she really enjoyed it...but yeah I'd say sign up.

Dick said...

I'll go along with the other temptors in your family...run! There are plenty of other Sundays in the year to go to church...it won't hurt to miss one...no one will notice you're not there...
The thing that will REALLY be bad is that you'll probably feel the best you've ever felt running, and you'll do well. That's what's happened to me when I hunt on Sundays...I'm almost always successful.

Stephanie said...

So scary about the dime! Leave it to the kids to make us look bad, huh? ;) That's exciting that Leona's in nursery now, though. Yea!

Stephanie said...

So I haven't read your blog in a while sorry. I think you Should do the run.

Jenny and I were wondering though after Leona swallowed the dime did she poop out 10 gumballs or does she just price check at 10 cents everytime she walks under a scanner at wal-mart?

Just kidding she is worth more then 10 cents but I'm serious about those gumballs haha love ya hope all is well.