Monday, January 11, 2010

Defeat Admitted

I think I'm done running. I've been having a hard time admitting that to myself, so maybe it will help to get it down on here... make it seem more real. I ran once last week, on Tuesday. It started off as a decent run but about a mile in, it really didn't feel all that great, my back hurt, I had a pain in my belly, everything was jiggling more than usual... so I ended up walking about half a mile. After walking though, I felt a lot better and decided to try running again, which felt great so I ran almost 4 more miles. I still felt pretty good when I got home but later that afternoon my lower back hurt so badly, I could hardly walk. I really was hoping to run up until the point that I had the baby. In fact, I had ideas about how I would go into labor out on a run and have to have Dan come pick me up and then I could brag about how I ran literally right up until I had the baby (ha ha ha). In the back of my mind, I still think about trying it again, (maybe if I went earlier in the day and didn't have Leona in the stroller) especially when I see people running (constantly by my house) but I think I have to admit defeat.

Instead of running, I've decided to start walking Calvin to and from school every day (so far, I've only managed to do it once, but that's a start) and I didn't cancel the prenatal yoga class, so I'll do that once a week as well. Today was my first day of yoga and I think it will be a good thing. The instructor has been teaching pre and postnatal yoga for 40 years and seems to know what she's doing. There are 5 other girls in the class besides me and most I think are fairly early in their pregnancies but there is one that might be giving me competition for largest belly... maybe I won't be the only one not to finish out the classes. Anyway, it was good to get out for an hour and do something somewhat active. Maybe in the future when it isn't such a busy Monday, I'll walk to and from class which would give me a little more exercise too. I think more than anything (since I'm already bigger with this pregnancy than I've ever been) I'm terrified of "blimping out" and don't want to sit around stagnant for these final 7+ weeks.

3 comments:

Dick said...

It's probably good to quit for a little while. You feel pain for a reason...it's to help you STOP doing something you shouldn't be doing. Walk Calvin to pre-school, do your Yoga classes, and chase Leona around the house. That will probably keep you in pretty decent shape. As far as being bigger than you've been in previous pregnancies, you have to remember that Jonathon (sp.?) will be your 4th kid. You can't expect to look like you did when you were pregnant with Emme.

Janet said...

I think you are doing great. Just because you can't run doesn't mean you can't keep in shape. Keep up the good work and don't worry too much.

autumn said...

you've been amazing, don't sell yourself short! instead of looking at it as defeat see it as how far you've come. and besides, you still look INCREDIBLE!