Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Running Intervals

Today, the kids and I dropped off our car at Les Schwab to get two new tires and the brakes repaired. We had to leave the car because they weren't sure when they were going to get to it so I brought the double jogger and put Emme in her best "walking shoes" (Leona & Calvin got to ride) and we trekked back home. It started off kind of slowly, but then Emme & I decided to play a "running game", which essentially ended up being an interval session. We used the shade from the trees to mark off our distances. We would run the sunny spots and walk very slooooooooowly the shady spots. I was really impressed with Emme, she was quite the trooper. When all was said and done, it was just shy of 1 1/2 miles and there were some pretty decent stretches of no shade that Emme really sprinted through. In addition, when we went past Amazon Trail, Emme thought it would be good to add in some "real exercise" on the chin up & sit up bars...but since it involved crossing the street several times, we (I) opted to take a water break instead.

So, with that little interval session out of the way, I'm now prepared to do my track session tomorrow morning. I don't know why I'm dreading it so much, it isn't even that bad; 5 miles including warm up and cool down with 3 x 800's at 3:46 pace (we'll see how that goes...maybe kind of slow?) and 400 jogs in between. I think it could be good, maybe even a little fun (in a sick, sadistic sort of way).

I'm going to run at the outdoor track at the UO's rec center. It was between there or South Eugene High School, but South Eugene is usually pretty crowded. In addition, the track at the University is square and has tennis courts and tall plants in the middle so it won't seem quite like running around a track at all. Tomorrow is a good day to have my first speed workout because Dan has the day off from work (big US soccer match) and so I won't have to head out quite so early. I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Dick said...

So is Emme going to be a standout distance runner? Or is Dan gonna win out and have her playing soccer?

Laurie said...

Can't she do both?

Dick said...

Yes. Not only can she do both, but I'm sure if you guys encourage both running and soccer she'll excel at both of them.