Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Motivation (or the lack thereof)

I have been greatly lacking motivation when it comes to running. I think that a large portion of it is the fact that in order to run I have to get up and get out early so that I can be back in time for Dan to get ready for work without having to worry about the kids. Lately, it's been a big contest between what I want more... to get my run in or enjoy an extra hour (or if I'm really lucky two) of sleep in the morning... the winner has been the sleep.

Yesterday morning, I planned a quick 4 miler and set my alarm for 5:15 which would give me 45 minutes to get ready, get out the door and get back before Dan needed to be up at 6. The snooze went off for the second time at 5:30 and I think I finally got out the door at close to 5:40 ( I then sat on the porch for a few minutes, still trying to convince myself I wanted to go)... so much for 4 miles. Instead, I kind of ran aimlessly around the neighborhood and over to the U of O to use up the little bit of time I had. I really didn't get into the run until about the last 2 minutes of it, but by then it was too late. I could make all kinds of excuses... I was feeling especially nauseous (which usually fades as I run, but didn't), we stayed up too late watching Shark Week, it was colder than I thought it would be, I had to get up too many times with Emme in the middle of the night... I could make up all kinds of stuff, but the truth is, I just haven't been motivated.

I think I found a way to motivate myself. I am actually going to train for the Duck Dash this year. It will be my 3rd and maybe final year running it and although I'll be just shy of 5 months pregnant (hopefully I won't be too big yet) I'd like to try and do well. Yesterday (after my crappy run) I downloaded a training program from Runner's World using the smart coach tool, that, if nothing else, will help me to be motivated. So, I've set it to start up on Monday and take me up to the race which is October 10th. I think it will actually be fun to have a program to follow. My only hesitations are the weekly track workouts, which I will hate, but will hopefully give me some speed and the pace at which all the easy runs are to be run (9:58). Granted, I've been running more slowly and I'm sure my times will only decrease as my size increases, but 9:58 seems awfully slow, I might have to manipulate that a bit, at least for the shorter "easy" runs.

2 comments:

Dick said...

You have the classic signs of burn out...where it's easier to come with reasons NOT to run than reasons TO run. I hope the Duck Dash training program motivates you enough to get you out the door. If you could find someone that's enthusiastic about running (shouldn't be to tough in Eugene) that doesn't mind running with a pregnant lady (that part might be a bit harder, unless you got in touch with your uncle) it might help too.

Marci said...

I was hoping from the title that your post would say something about you being lazy which would let me off the hook for a couple of days, and what did I find instead? I'm on for the Duck Dash, but there is no way I'm getting up at 5:15 to train. Seriously, I can watch your kids later on so that you can get some rest. That first trimester is the one that sucks your energy. Thanks for always being my motivator!