Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Passion in the making...


I just finished reading the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. It was really a pretty good book, but this isn't going to be a book review. No, this is going to be more about me discovering my true running passion...super duper long distance running i.e. ultra running. It was all I could do while reading the book to keep myself sedentary and not spring off the couch/floor/bed (wherever I happened to be) and head out the door for a million mile run...or at least go for a nice barefoot jaunt through a dewy, grassy field as it is argued that we were born to do.

I suppose that before I head off on a barefooted trek across the world I should get in a few runs over 12 miles. Is it crazy to have a passion in the works for something that I've never even come close to doing? I have yet to even run a marathon (or even a half for that matter) and here I am telling the world (okay, I know my fan base (ha ha ha, as if I have such a thing) isn't that large) that I'd like to run ultras...maybe I'm slightly psychotic (I'm sure my family could attest to that). I don't know what it is, but the thought of running and running and then running even further really appeals to me. Especially if that running is "out there" somewhere, somewhere sans lots of people.

Today, I was reading Jamie Donaldson's blog detailing her recent adventure at the Badwater 100 and it further fueled my desire to participate. Jamie, by the way, is amazing, you should check out her blog here or her website here.

I know that it won't be something that I can logistically do right now or even in the really near future, but maybe once I get all my little grubs into school and can really take long, long runs I could begin at least training a little bit more. So, I guess we're talking years down the road, but that gives me lots of time to get ready right??

Anyway, the book was a good read and I do believe that we (as a human population) were born to run and we should do more of it. If you've read the book already, you might be interested in the pictures from Luis Escobar's website at allwedoisrun.com or click here for the direct link to the Tarahumara pics (there are a lot of other great running pics on his site to).

2 comments:

Dick said...

Spoken like a true running addict! Long distance (endless) running isn't appealing...but I didn't think twice about riding across the U.S. with your uncle. I can see how playing Forest Gump might be attractive to a hippie chick from Eugene. Do a couple of marathons first though.

John and Sarah Sperry said...

I really want to read that book now!