Saturday, July 25, 2009

Marathon Plans

So, my original plan, several months ago, was to run the Portland Marathon in October. I wanted to get one in before I turned 30 (in November) and I always figured that Portland would be my first. As I started thinking more about it though, it seemed more logical to run the Eugene marathon in the spring instead. This way, I could sleep in my own bed, not have to worry about traveling at all, and I would already know the course, not to mention the extra time it would give me to get really ready for it. In addition, my family could roll out of bed and cheer me on as I ran by our house. So that was it, that was my plan and it was pretty definite. I had my training plan all worked out and it was going to be really good. Of course, all it ever takes for something to not work out the way you anticipate is to get it planned.

For the past 4 weeks I have been feeling kind of nauseous and absolutely exhausted. I attributed it to being away from home for so long in Klamath, not sleeping much or in my own bed, eating bad food, well lots of treats at least (thanks grammy, they were tasty), increasing my running...I had all sorts of ideas. I had considered the fact that I might be pregnant, the symptoms fit, but quickly dismissed that idea...it wasn't in the plan, not until after the Eugene Marathon. However, when we went camping last weekend and I woke up in the middle night really sick, I wondered again. As, mostly a joke, I had my mom pick me up a pregnancy test at the dollar store. As soon as she and my sister left for home I tried it out and it immediately turned positive. Are you kidding me?!? So, there you have it, I'm pregnant. So much for my spring marathon. I have a feeling that having a baby in March and attempting to run my first marathon in April wouldn't be the smartest thing for me to do.

As for the baby, I didn't even know how far along I was. Since I was nursing and everything, it was all a big surprise. Judging by the way I felt, I figured about 8 weeks though. Yesterday I got to go to the doctor and get everything confirmed. I was 8 weeks and 1 day as shown by the ultrasound, that puts my due date March 4th and will put Leona and the baby 20 months apart. Calvin & Emme are 19 months apart, so I know it's doable...crazy insane, but doable.

As for my running, well it hasn't been happening. My mornings are mostly spent feeling really sick, as are my afternoons and evenings. More than that though, I have just been so tired I can hardly function. Okay, maybe that's a bit extreme, but I've been tired. Maybe it has something to do with being in my first trimester and trying to keep up with 3 crazy crazies. I'm going to suck it up though and get back into it next week. I don't want to get so far out of shape that I can't run at all during this pregnancy. Now that my secret is out though, I will be better about blogging, although you might not want to follow as closely as posts may tend to lean towards running while pregnant.

Here's a picture of my blob.







If you'd like to see some pictures of Leona's birthday or my other little grubs check out my family's blog. northlynews.blogpot.com

As for what we're going to do with 4 kids...I'm not quite sure yet, we'll let you know when we get it figured out....

11 comments:

me/mom/NANA said...

PAPA AND I ARE THRILLED, of course we are not the one sick all the time or with three little wild indians running around the house bu we were at one time and believe me you will be blessed. When can we start telling others.

Callie. said...

Laurie, I was looking on Stephanie's blog and clicked over to yours...congratulations!! That is so exciting! Yes, no marathon for you, but that is just so exciting. How fun that Leona will have a buddy so close in age also. Congrats again! And you will just about be done with law school after you have him/her--perfect!

Jacob and Stephanie said...

Laurie!!! Oh my goodness!!! I'm surprised that I didn't see the signs. You're a good actress. You hadn't looked exhausted or sickly at all. You are such a great mom - I know that you will be just fine with four. Congratulations! Sorry about the marathon plans :( but I know you'll get yours in eventually. You're an amazing runner.

Jon and Julie said...

Holy cow! You're really going to need that triple jogger. Congratulations! It's always ironic to me that no matter how hard you try to plan, children always seem to come when they are supposed to come. Good luck managing pregnancy, running, and three kids. At least this is the last year of law school. Hooray!

Marci said...

Ha! That's what you get for making plans. I'll run Eugene with you the next year. Maybe then I'll have the guts to try again.
You are a supermom and my hero!

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations! I'm thrilled for ya'll. I so know the feeling of being suprised! Kyler still surprises me. Again, Congrats - We're happy for you.

Joleane said...

Congratulations Laurie and Daniel! You take care of yourself. You're in our prayers for a healthy & safe pregnancy.

Laurie said...

Thanks everyone for all your good wishes, you actually are making me kind of excited!

Marci - I'll hold you to that marathon...we've got almost 2 years to get ready...that SHOULD be enough...

John and Sarah Sperry said...

Congratulations, Laurie!

Dick said...

Congratulations, Laurie!! Your mom and I will take all the grandkids we can get. I'll take bets against you running Eugene in 2 years, however. Let's see...we were supposed to do Portland in 2005 but you got pregnant. Then we were supposed to do Portland in 2006, but Dan had his LSAT (a legitimate excuse). Then I think you were going to do Eugene in 2008...but you were pregnant. And then you were talking about Eugene in 2010...but wait! Another pregnancy! I'm thinking that there are probably easier ways of getting out of doing a marathon!

Miss K said...

oh my gosh!!! laurie!!! congrats!!!and that's all i have to say! :)