Friday, June 5, 2009

Had to share...

I was reading today's edition of 'Open Mic' on the Runner's Lounge and it had a great interview with "Teri" a runner who is a relay enthusiast.  You can read about it HERE.  In it, though, she talked about the best running advice she has been given and I think it is just what I needed to hear: 
 

Best running advice you've ever been given?


This comes from a relay friend and Portland Marathon pacer.  It's simple really - "6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months."  It refers to our choices when dealing with injury.  If we are feeling something - a pain in our hip or shin, tightness in our Achilles, throbbing ankles - we can make the smart choice, and rest for 6 days (or whatever it takes until it feels better).  If we choose to push through the pain for some time, we stretch that recovery out to 6 weeks.  And if we keep on pushing through the pain, we can end up with injury that lasts 6 months or longer.  It's so important to listen to your body and to give it rest when it is asking for it.


So, I guess that's it.  6 days off for sure then I'll reevaluate the situation.  It means definitely no racing next Saturday, but I can live with that.  I think that I will still hit up lap swim as much as possible and if my ankle doesn't want to cooperate with kicking then I'll just have to focus more on my pulling (which luckily for me has always been the weakest part of my strokes...yippee...something good can come out of this...improved swimming technique).  Anyway, I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that it is okay to be sidelined for a bit and I'll stop whining about it...for today at least...


2 comments:

Dick said...

Glad you posted the advice. My Achilles is feeling better today, and Doug's game got cancelled due to rain. Because I love running in the rain and there's no game, I was seriously considering going for a short run tonight. Now I don't think I'll risk it. Good luck with swimming, and hope your ankle heels quickly.

Marci said...

I feel your pain! My foot is still a little bit swollen and it feels like my days have become so boring. I haven't commented for a while but I was very proud of you for running up that steep hill so many times. Sorry about the race, but I think you already proved that you would have rocked it.