Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Escape

The kids and I escaped to Klamath Falls for the weekend to surprise my mom for her birthday and get my mind off of running. It was actually kind of liberating to not worry about whether I should try to cram the jogging stroller into the car (in place of luggage) and to not have to pack running gear, although it was hard for me not to bring some sports bras and running shoes just in case. We had a great time though, and it was good to get away from all the runners...it helped with my self-pity. Living halfway between Hayward Field and some of the best bark trails in Eugene (and South Eugene HS track) means our sidewalk services a great amount of runners. I don't know how many people run by my house every day (maybe if I get ambitious I'll count them...is that really ambition if I'm sitting in my recliner staring out the window all day or is it "justified" laziness?!?) but I know it's a lot and when I see them I want to be running too.

Today is day 4 of my 6 days off. My ankle is actually doing quite a bit better, but I might extend the self-prescribed rest just to make sure. Most of the swelling is gone and it doesn't seem to hurt as much to go down stairs. Yesterday I walked (somewhat briskly) with the double jogger to play group and then to pick up Emme from school (much more briskly on the way back...we were running late) which was about 1 1/2 miles round trip, not too far, but farther than I've gone lately. It felt pretty good, I even "jogged" across a couple of streets. Actually it felt great to get outside and do something somewhat aerobic...the first since last Wednesday. I'm anxious to go running and see how everything holds up, but I'm not going to push it too much.

Unfortunately though, my time of running during the day is coming rapidly to an end. Emme only has two days of school left this week and then Monday and Tuesday next week. After that, she'll be out for the summer (and a 1st grader (assuming she doesn't get held back)...man I'm getting old!) and I'll have to do all my running early before Dan leaves for work or sometime after he gets home at night. I don't mind getting up early and sometimes evening runs are quite pleasant, but I have to admit I'm a sun worshiper and sometimes I really enjoy getting out in that sunshine.

1 comment:

Dick said...

Getting old? Wait until Emme is almost 30 and has a kid going into the first grade, and THEN see how you feel!