Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Creeping Back

I went for a run yesterday. It wasn't the greatest, but it was sure good to be out there running. I was threatened by everyone close to me to keep it simple...in fact my mom, flat out said that I shouldn't go but if I always listened to my mom I wouldn't be half the "adventurous" person I am today... My dad, on the other hand, had this to say, "Make sure you keep it short...no 6 mile jaunts because you feel good. If it starts hurting swallow your pride and WALK back home...you don't want to re-injure it for the sake of looking good." Don't worry Dad, it's quite obvious that I never worry about looking good while running, although I did read a hilarious post this evening about padded sports bras...maybe I should worry more about looking good. You can (and should) check it out here. Anyway, I digress....

I went running yesterday after an 11 day hiatus. I went around 9am with both Calvin & Leona in the double. It was just a short, easy, little over 2 1/2 mile run. I took it fairly slowly, but still managed to average a little under 8:30 pace. I felt pretty good at the turn around and contemplated adding another mile, but since I had made promises to "keep it simple" I opted to forgo the added mileage and hillage (yes that's a word) that the extension would have entailed. My ankle was a little bit tender at first but seemed to "warm up" as I crept along and today I haven't felt any repercussions. I also pushed the kids on a 2 mile walk to playgroup and Emme's school but made a point to wear "walking" shoes (really converse tennis shoes, which are a tad too big, but they were sooo cute and on clearance, and worked really well with what I was wearing yesterday...nope, I don't worry about looking good at all) instead of flip-flops, which consequently left me with one of the worst blisters I've ever had (which is saying a lot for a life-long runner)...maybe I should've worn socks?

I am really trying hard to do this the correct way and not do too much at once so I took today off. I'll probably do an every other day schedule for a bit...we'll see. I'll be back on the road tomorrow and since Emme's now officially done with kindergarten it will be an early run...maybe by myself?? that could be nice...

1 comment:

Dick said...

Good job, Laurie! I'm proud of you for not giving in to the temptation of going farther because you felt good. Every other day is probably good...just be careful. I'm living testament that doing too much too soon is idiocy...my Achilles is still jacked up, and my knee is permanently ruined. PATIENCE is key.