Friday, June 26, 2009

Attention Drivers...

...please look both ways before turning onto a street. That means you madam "Dutch Mafia". I know that you and your coffee stickers were in a hurry to get a little afternoon pick-me-up, but running over my baby & me, won't get you there any faster. That also means you Mr. "cute little old man" in your shiny Volvo wagon (complete with Jerry Bear decals of course, this is Eugene afterall). Even though you apologized profusely after you almost hit us and I said "no worries" to you, I could think about little else the rest of my run than how I almost got hit twice in 3 blocks. Is everyone seriously in such a hurry that they can't take the time to come to a complete stop and look not just to the left, but the right too. I realize there is no threat to you or your car to the right, just little old me and my sweet (most of the time) little one but we do so value our lives...

Luckily, ever since I started running with a jogging stroller, I've become a much more hesitant runner. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am literally pushing the life of my children ahead of my own. I have learned to never cross a street if there is a car approaching, stop sign or not...it just isn't worth the risk.

Had I been a little less careless today or thinking I was quicker than I am, we could've been hit twice within a couple of minutes. The first lady, never even saw us there, even though we got to the intersection long before her mini SUV...she just rolled to an almost stop before quickly turning right to jump out in front of another car. The second guy, as I mentioned, noticed us and apologized as he was driving away, but nonetheless, was still quite careless. So, please drivers as you are out gallivanting in your big shiny beasts...please look both ways, my kids & I (and my husband) would appreciate it if we all made it home alive.

2 comments:

Jacob and Stephanie said...

Good grief! What a heart attack that must have been! I'm glad you're all alright - good reflexes. :S

Dick said...

Maybe you could follow your Grandfather's advice to me when we were getting ready to go on our bike trip...carry a big piece of wood hooked to a chain (you know...to drag behind you when you start going too fast and need to slow down) and pitch it through the offending drivers' windshields.