Friday, May 8, 2009

You Are What You Eat...


As I was eating chocolate peanut butter ice cream for breakfast this morning and reading one of my favorite running blogs called Lil Runner (see it here) about making mother's day brunch a little bit healthier I started thinking that maybe I could use making my life a bit more nutritious.  I think for the most part I'm pretty good, but I definitely have my weaknesses...hence the chocolate peanut butter ice cream for breakfast (I did have a banana first though...that has to count for something).  Anyway, my family and my running are very important to me and I'm sure if I were to become a bit more nutrition savvy it would be beneficial to both.  

I recently started planning a weekly dinner menu, which has helped a great deal when it comes to having decent dinners, but when it comes to breakfast and lunch I am absolutely terrible.  (I really don't usually have ice cream for breakfast, but I'll have to admit, today wasn't the first time either.)  I think that for the most part, time plays a big issue.  Breakfast time is always crazy.  I make sure that Emme and Calvin get a good meal before I take Emme to school, but while they are eating I am usually getting myself and Leona ready.  By the time lunch rolls around, is seems that it hasn't been that long since I finally got around to eating breakfast and so I get Calvin and Leona their lunches and get everything ready to pick Emme up from school.

I know that since I'm starting to increase my weekly mileage and also run earlier in the morning I need to be eating better quality calories (what, no more 110 fat calorie/serving ice cream?!?).  I can't bring myself to eat before I run though.  For those of you that run before "breakfast time" do you eat anything first?  When I get home I will usually have a glass of water and then take a quick shower before getting the kids up.  Maybe I should stock up on yogurt and granola or stuff for smoothies (mmmm that sounds good!).  I've also heard that bagels with peanut butter are a quick fix and good filler.  Anyone have any suggestions?

As for lunch, I just need to take the time to make myself a salad or a sandwich.  Pretty much I know how to be nutritious, it's just a matter of implementing that knowledge...

2 comments:

dylan said...

Loved your "interview" on Runners Lounge!

Usually if I am running early in the morning, I will eat a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter on it about 30 minutes before I head out!

N.D. said...

Ok, peanut butter ice cream for dessert - this is ok. For breakfast? Hahaha. I definitely have to get into the weekly dinner menu plan, because during the week it gets crazy and I never know what to have for dinner! I like that plan. Before I run, especially now, I am STARVING. I either eat 1/2 slice of bread w/ peanut butter or 1/2 a balance bar. The balance bar really doesn't affect my stomach and as long as I eat the pb bread a bit in advance it is good. If I'm running early in the morning though, like 5am, I can't eat. What time do you run?