Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Running in the Rain


I love to run in the rain. I love to splash through puddles, I love that there aren't a whole bunch of people out and about, I love to get soaking wet, then come home and take a nice hot shower....I love the rain.

Today, what was a light sprinkle when I left, turned into a torrential downpour by the time I finished up my run. I didn't get up early this morning, so I was running with the double jogger (filled with Calvin & Leona, of course). Usually, Calvin throws a fit anytime I insist on putting on the rain cover, but he surprisingly didn't complain today. Anyway, about 100 yards from our house, it started "dumping buckets" and only got worse as our run went on. Not too surprisingly, there weren't many other runners out, only a few Oregon Track guys, and no walkers. There were a fair amount of transients hanging in the "tunnel" under 30th, that I'm sure especially enjoyed Calvin's blasting of the Imperial March (he loves to hear the echo...the louder the better). I had planned to go a little over 6 miles, but we got kind of a late start due to two almost flat tires, a last minute potty break, and the need to "bring a snack...please mommy, please...you know those tractor gummy things...pleeeeease...". By the time we left, it was after 11:15 which only left us 45 minutes to get a run in before we needed to pick up Emme at school. We made pretty decent time and even though we had to weave in and out of the High School lunch traffic we were able to get in almost 5 miles and still managed to have enough time to stand outside Emme's school, in the rain, for 7 minutes (even though we were only 3 minutes early...gotta love "school time"). Now, I like to run in the rain, but standing in the rain is a completely different story. It shouldn't have mattered, since I was already completely soaked, but it's just not the same thing.

Speaking of standing in the rain, Emme has her last weeknight soccer game tonight and although we've had some brief moments of only drizzle, it looks like we'll be getting drenched...yippee!!

Also, Sunday was the Eugene marathon. Our house is just past the 1st mile marker and so Emme, Leona and I got up to cheer on all the runners. We took some pictures too...look for them in my next post...

p.s.  I can't take credit for the really cool picture of the rain, I found it on google...


3 comments:

BoB said...

Woah. Crazy. I was looking through the logs of hits at my blog, and saw that there was a referral from another blog. Small world. Another 29 yr old scorpio blogging about running. Turns out the pic of the rain that you're using is a reference to my blog. I can't take credit for the image either, I found it on google as well :) I wasn't blogging yet when I ran the Eugene Marathon (it was the inaugural one, sooo a coupla years ago), but it has been my favorite marathon to date. I'm jealous of you living in Oregon. DC (where I live) is awesome in so many ways, but the culture in Eugene is just spectacular in terms of being active and running in specific. Just thought I'd drop you a line and say hey from 3000 miles away. -dave

Laurie said...

Thanks for saying "hey". I do love Eugene, but I've heard a lot of relly good things about DC. My husband lived there for 2 years (while serving a church mission) and loved it! I have yet to run the Eugene Marahton (or any marathon for that matter) but I'd like to, I've always heard good things. Anyway, thanks for checking out my blog. keep running...

N.D. said...

sounds like a nice run. when running, I don't notice so much the rain, but standing in it, yes!!!