Saturday, May 2, 2009

I'm a Junkie

I don't know why it has taken me so long to figure it out, but I am absolutely addicted to running.  I know it may not seem like the worst thing in the world to be addicted to but it is an addiction nonetheless.  

As with any addiction, there are definitely ups and downs as well as symptoms of being an addict.  Today, for example, was a rough day.  My run yesterday, although short, wasn't very satisfying...it left a bad taste in my mouth.  Normally, I try to get a longer run in on Saturday, but Emme had a soccer match early this morning and Dan had a "backstage pass" to the UO spring game that lasted most of the day and this morning I wanted to sleep in (by in, of course I mean past 6am)...I thought I'd be okay not running (it is good to have rest days) because I really didn't want to get up early/earlier on my one "free" day but by the time Dan got home I was jonesing for a run.  I had been pacing around, feeling jittery, snapping at the kids, literally going crazy...I had to get out of the house.  So, after I got the kids dinner and Dan gave them baths, I kissed them goodnight and Leona and I headed out for my fix.  

It was great. I headed out past campus and across the Autzen footbridge to run on the Riverbank Trail that follows the Willamette River and it was a beautiful run.  With each step I took the anger and aggression that had been plaguing me all day melted away and by the time I got home I was feeling downright euphoric.  That was it, that was all I needed...a runner's high.  I am a junkie...

On a side note, Leona now has 4 teeth.  Dan calls her Dale, as in Dale the Chipmunk...I think you can see why:

2 comments:

Tom North said...

I totally know what you mean! I didn't go for a run today and it was all I could think about...I actually felt bad and not right inside for not going, even though I physically needed the day off. I found myself kind of grumpy and just easily irritated. I've noticed that almost always after a run I'm joking a lot more and just stress free....strange how running is actually like a drug with highs and lows.

Natalie D said...

sounds like a great run - what a cutie!