Saturday, April 25, 2009

8 is Great!

Yesterday, Emme had a play date with one of her friends from school.  Since it was Friday and Dan was home, I decided to take the opportunity to go for a rare afternoon run while Emme was gone.  So, I left the boys home to play Star Wars (which ended up being just a long nap, for both, instead) and Leona and I walked Emme to the school to meet her friend then headed out for a run.  My original plan was to run an easy 3 to 4 miles.  Emme was supposed to be at her friend's from about 2:35 until 4, so I would have plenty of time to run, then shower and go pick her up.  

Well, we got out there running and it felt great!  The sun was shining, Leona fell asleep and I just kept going and going and going, it was really nice.  It turns out the wind had been at my back the whole way (which I didn't discover until I turned around...no wonder I felt so fast!) but even after turning to head back I still felt really great.  As I got closer to my house I realized that I really didn't have enough time to shower before getting Emme, but if I were to pass it and head up towards campus and run around some more I could "waste" time until it was time to pick her up...so that's what I did.  

Short story, long...what started out as a quick 3-4 miler ended up being just under 8 miles (my longest run since having Leona).  It felt great though, in fact, so great that (thanks to my brother) I am considering (very passively, considering) looking into running the Portland Marathon this fall.  There are many reasons to run it, also many not to...maybe I'll go into that next post...

8 comments:

Jaime said...

Hey Laurie, I just ran into your blog from Keldas. Your kids are so big and so stinkin' cute!!

Laurie said...

Thanks Jaime... I didn't realize you have 3 kids too, they are all so grown up and cute! You are so creative...the capes you make are really cool, what a great idea!

Joleane said...

8 miles!! Wow! That's fantastic. You should (seriously) consider 1/2 marathons too. Keep up the good work.

Jacob and Stephanie said...

That is so awesome, Laurie! You are amazing - I know that you could do a great job in the marathon. :)

Miss K said...

laurie! my sister in law is running that marathon too! i think that that would be amazing for you to do! i admire your running talent! :)

Dick said...

If you can do 8 pushing a stroller, 26.2 with no stroller and cheering crowds should be cake!!! I called Tom and told him you're in.

Laurie said...

thanks dad...how 'bout you?

Dick said...

Sorry, Laurie. I ran yesterday and my Achilles is jacked up again today. I don't know what's up, but I don't think I'll ever be able to do any kind of distance.