Wednesday, April 29, 2009

7 Deadly Sins...of Running?


As I was running this morning and thinking about the love/hate relationship that I have with running I realized how easily running can fall into all categories of the Seven Deadly Sins.  

Maybe it isn't this way for all runners, but here is how it lines up for me:

1.  Sloth:  When it comes to running, one would think that sloth doesn't really apply...wrong!!  It is so easy for me to think of a million other things to do rather than get out of bed and go running in the morning...like keep sleeping. 

2.  Wrath:  Although, kind of an extreme emotion, I can easily incorporate wrath into my running repertoire.  If for example, I give into my sloth-like tendency to skip my early morning runs, I have been known to become somewhat wrathful at myself later in the day...

3.  Gluttony:  The sin of over-indulgence/consumption, usually of food, but more accurately the over-indulgence of anything to the point of waste (thanks Wikipedia) can be applied (sparingly) to my running.  On some occasions, I will go for a run that just feels great...all the conditions are perfect.  Maybe the weather has just the right amount of breeze or drizzle, the route I'm on may be empty or flat or full of nice scenery, maybe I'm only pushing one child and she is asleep...whatever the circumstance the run is so perfect that I don't want it to end. Although, those occasions may be few and far between, when they occur, I run and run and run to the point that I over-indulge and therefore cannot move very well the next day (sore muscles, blisters, sunburn...) which then brings me back to sin #2.

4.  Greed:  I have had a hard time getting over greed when it comes to running.  The time that I have to go running seems very limited and because of that, I have become very greedy with it.  I have a double jogger and 3 kids, which means that (until Emme can learn to keep up with me) I can only go running while 1 of the kids is not in the equation or Dan is home.  For the most part, that time is between 8 and Noon Monday-Friday, which means things like library storytime, grocery shopping, playgroup, etc. often fall prey to my greedy running ways.  Now, on the days that I don't let sloth get the better of me and get out of bed before everyone else, I am only greedy with my afternoons and the rare naps I can sneak in...

5.  Lust:  This one is easy...When running, it is hard not to compare myself to other runners and here in Eugene, more often than not, those other runners are either Olympic hopefuls or "hasbeens"...either way, they have amazing bodies and abilities.  (Don't worry Dan I'm not lusting after their bodies as much as I wish I had their bodies...see "Envy" below)

6.  Envy:  After I have finished lusting after all the elite runners, I become envious of their abilities, their cool running gear, the fact that they are closer to their 20's than they are their 30's and mostly,that they aren't pushing any yelling kids in a stroller...

and finally...

7.  Pride:  When all is said and done, I know that I'm not the best runner out there, I'm not even the best runner pushing a stroller, since I live in Eugene, I'm probably not even the best runner on my block, but I'm proud that I am out there.  I'm especially proud of those "early morning out there's"...which means I really better watch my footing, I think I read somewhere that "pride cometh before a fall"...

1 comment:

Marci said...

It is a strange phenomenon that running can simultaneously be my favorite thing to do as well as the thorn in my side. You said it all perfectly except I think that when it comes to running physique you are the one that is worth envying. I have to say that the double-stroller, three kid dilemma is quite the pickle, but your kids are so awesome I think you should have like five or six more. Besides, I think Leona is about ready to lace up her shoes and hit the trails herself. Nice blog!