Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Running from the Law

It sounds a lot cooler than it really is... I haven't actually been running from the law (not recently anyway!) it's the name of a running group I'm going to join.  It is a group of law students that get together a couple of times a week to go running and they invited me to join them.  

I'm not really sure what I've gotten myself into.  I only know one member of the group and she ran something crazy,  like 5 marathons last year.  The number might not be 100% accurate but I do know of, for certain, a half marathon she did in the summer and two full length ones in the fall... that's more than enough to be considered slightly clinical!  Anyway, I didn't bother to ask how fast or how far they usually run (I didn't want Juli (the girl I know) to think I'm a wimp... 'cuz it will be much better to pass out while we're running) so I could be in a bit of trouble.  I'm taking today off to rest up for tomorrow (mini taper), we'll see if that helps... I'm really wishing I hadn't taken off so many days last month!  

I'm still undecided as to whether or not to bring Leona & the jogging stroller.  On one hand, if I bring her: 
  1. I would have an excuse to be slower.
  2. The stroller would give me a place to have water, pain meds, and my cell phone to call an ambulance.
  3. I could also lean on it to help hold myself up.
  4. If things got really bad, I could pinch her and use her crying as an excuse to turn back early.
On the other hand:
  1. When I showed up, they might wonder who invited the old lady with the screaming baby.
  2. If we run on any narrow paths, or really steep paths, or bark trail paths, or bumpy paths, or the street... the stroller could be an issue.
  3. If  there are a lot of people, I could really be in the way.
  4. Plus, there is always the coolness factor... is it cool to run with a baby?
I'm leaning towards leaving her at home, at least until I've run with group once and see what it is really all about.  I guess I'll just wait and see how tomorrow goes... if I survive, I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Dick said...

I think you're probably right...it might be good to leave Leona home the first time you go with those guys. As far as the "coolness factor" I don't think you have to worry about that. You're in Tracktown, your stroller is made for running, and you LOOK like a runner. If you showed up in a hot pink "jogging" suit with Leona dressed in the same thing you might be suspect...but I know that won't happen so you don't have anything to worry about. Just do with the marathoners what you always tell me before you run my butt into the ground...run at a pace that's comfortable for YOU...and forget about them (yeah, right! You're too competitive to do that!!).

Jacob and Stephanie said...

Wow, good luck with that. :P Hopefully, they won't scare you away from the get-go by running a half marathon warm-up. JK Maybe leaving her home for the first one is a good idea, though. I look forward to seeing how it went. :)