Friday, January 2, 2009

Out of Shape

Who would've guessed that only a few days running in the past month plus close to twenty pounds of chocolate and other Christmas goodies consumed could do so much damage to one's "training"...

Today I went for a nice leisurely 3 miles.  It didn't go so well.  I didn't want to be around many people, so I opted to do one of my hillier routes that takes me up behind and around the law school... it hurt.  I think I felt better when I was running at 5 months pregnant, pushing both Emme & Calvin in the stroller than I did this morning at 5 1/2 months post-partum pushing just Leona.  I just couldn't run.  My legs hurt, my ankles hurt, my lungs hurt... it wasn't pretty.  At one point I actually passed an ambulance that slowed, the drivers probably pondering whether to pick me up on the spot or wait for someone to call them. I was literally dead on my feet... ha ha.  (Okay, the ambulance story was completed fabricated, but it would be a lot cooler if it were true... I did pass a police car though (that's where I got the idea for the ambulance story).)  Anyway, I think you get the idea, I'm out of shape.

I had planned to work really hard over the break.  I told myself, "Self, (because that is what I call myself) over the break, Dan will be home so it will be a good opportunity to get lots of mileage in, running with just Leona.  Unfortunately, I didn't listen to myself.  So, now I'm telling myself that as soon as everyone goes back to school and our schedules get a little bit more normalized then I'll really start running again.  It is after all a new year and with a new year come new resolutions, which I don't believe in making... but I do want to get back in shape, so I will plan (not resolve) to run more often, start lifting again and maybe even do a few crunches here and there... we'll see.

1 comment:

Jacob and Stephanie said...

If it's any consolation, the twenty pounds of chocolate doesn't appear to have stuck around cuz I think you still look great. :)