Saturday, January 24, 2009

Music & Running

I went on a nice run this morning with just Leona. Because it is Saturday and football is over I headed over the Autzen footbridge and around Autzen Stadium and all the other fields at the Ed Moshofsky Sports Complex, including the new baseball field which is looking pretty nice.  It was a good run.  I love to run by campus and on the river bank trail system, but during the week it can be difficult to weave through all the students so I usually save it for weekend runs, which I've been neglecting.

Anyway, since I was running with just Leona, I didn't have Calvin to encourage me with his various interpretations of the Imperial March or to keep me entertained with his random thoughts which left me to the wanderings of my own mind (scary, I know).  When I run, I tend to think (usually about what to write on my blog) while repeating something over and over again.  Well, lucky me, this morning the repetitive song was my second least favorite one from Mary Poppins.  It is from the scene where all the chimney sweeps are dancing around on the rooftops.  At first, I was quite annoyed that it was stuck in my head, especially since I don't know much of it, but it turned out to be a pretty decent song to run to.  I would never have thought to put it on a running playlist but I'll say that it did keep me "stepping in time".  Here it is for your viewing pleasure (or displeasure, if you dislike it as much as I do):



So, (when not repeating step in time over and over in my head) I was thinking about running and how I usually have a song or chant in my head when I run and I thought I'd pose the question to my audience (all 2 or 3 of you, feel free to leave a comment)... what do you think about when you run? Do you run with an iPod or some other type of listening device? When I graduated, Dan gave me a really cool radio armband that I would listen to while I ran, but it seemed that I was always trying to tune it to a good station which took my concentration away from the run itself. I had Emme shortly thereafter and took to running with her and thought it best to not be "tuned out" from her. I have since run on occasion listening to my iPod (when I'm not pushing a stroller), but it seems that when I do, I end up getting annoyed with my headphones or worrying too much about what songs I want to listen to. On Friday, I passed three other women running with strollers, one had an iPod, one was just running and I'm not sure what the third lady was listening to, but she was broadcasting NPR to everyone within a 50 foot radius...maybe some sort of portable radio?  I don't have any problems with others running with iPods or such, I think I've just decided for myself that I enjoy being lost in my crazy thoughts and songs (even if they are really annoying ones) or those of my children.  In a way, running is the way I keep myself sane... I think that on some levels it helps me to clear some of the clutter out of my brain... the rest gets dumped on here (lucky you)!

P.S. Just in case you were wondering, here is my least favorite song/scene from Mary Poppins:


5 comments:

Janet said...

Well since you asked about what goes through ones mind when running here goes... When I used to run I always had a tune or at least a rhythm in my head. Usually it is the same tune over and over and over as I run. Now that I walk instead of run, my mind tends to wander and I don't always have a tune going to keep me on pace. I find that as my mind wanders my pace becomes slower and slower. So, I think a tune in your head that has a good pace (as "step in time" does) it is a good thing to keep you going.

Tom North said...

Well first of all I didn't realize that those songs were so annoying and also that the chimney song was so long!
When I'm running I've realized that most of the time I'm not thinking...I just listen to the inner sound of my feet pounding, you know that rhythm that there is. But when I do think its usually in math terms. I'll try to figure out how far I've gone in percentage to the whole run or try and put it into a pie graph. I do the same thing when I'm swimming. While running though I can't stand to have anything in my ears, its just bothersome to have to fix them every 10 seconds, and songs usually throw off my beat.

Dick said...

I generally wind up like you...with some really annoying "ditty" rattling around in my brain (usually some 60's song I've heard on KRAT). When I've gone on a long run and the end is in sight, but still not close enough to pick my pace up, I wind up counting my strides. I sometimes try to guess how many steps it will take to finish, and then counting them to see how close I come.

me/mom/NANA said...

I gave up on listening to music. My little ipod thingy has music from the 50's and 60's, from primary children and from the Tabernacle Choir. It was to hard to find a pace. I had everything from a crawl to a flat out run. Now I just think about my grandchildren and what I will be able ot do with them when I lose this 100 pounds.

Jacob and Stephanie said...

I haven't found anything I can stick with - maybe I just have a short attention span - but I've tried listening to the radio, listening to my own music, listening to books on tape (that one didn't last long) and just thinking. I get tired of each one after awhile and then change.