Friday, October 10, 2008

Duck Dash

Well, tomorrow is the big race.  Actually, it isn't really that big of a race, it is only a 5K (3.1 miles) and I think there are only about 200 people that participate in it, but since it is the only race I seem to ever run, it is a big race for me.  

Last night I had a dream (read "nightmare") about it.  I was running along and all of a sudden I couldn't find anyone else, they all completely disappeared.  It turns out, that the race went by a house and while the rest of the racers had taken the stairs down to the backyard, I had inadvertently gone in the house and turned towards the attic, which was filled with guys playing video games who didn't seem at all concerned that I was running around them...gotta love the crazy world of dreams.

Anyway, I'm not sure how prepared I am for it.  I've been running...although not too much this week (I guess I can call that my taper...do people actually taper for a 5K?).  Right now my biggest concern is trying to figure out what I want to wear and how I'm going to do my hair.  (I'm sure that seems pretty silly...but it is supposed to be in the low to mid 30's at race time and I recently got my hair cut and it is too short for a ponytail or pigtails...besides I want to at least look the part of a real racer...)  

My mom and grandma are coming up to watch and Dan and the kids will be there too...so I really want to do well.  Last year I placed about 76th overall and was 6th out of 31 in my age group (25-29 year olds), with a time of 23:54.  I guess I'm just hoping to do as well or maybe even a little bit better this year.  It would be really cool to get a medal (top 3 overall or top 3 in your age group)or at least a door prize (doesn't matter where you place for those).  

Even though I am not quite 3 months postpartum, I feel like I'm in pretty good shape...maybe even better than last year.  (Of course if I don't do better, I've already got the excuses ready...just had a baby less than 3 months ago...at the top of my age group, basically racing against "teeny-boppers".)  If nothing else, I have a better feel for the course this year and hopefully won't be so nervous...I guess I'll find out in about 19 hours...

No comments: