Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Updates

It feels like I haven't written in forever but it really hasn't been that long...just a lot has happened in the last 4 days.  

For starters, Calvin's sickness worsened so I finally took him to the doctor yesterday.  It turns out he has croup...which is basically laryngitis for kids:  sore throat, terrible barking cough and a fever.  It is most common in children ages 6 months to 3 years because their esophagus is narrow, which explains why Emme's case wasn't as bad.  It is worse at night but should only last a few more nights.  Emme has pretty much recovered and I think that Calvin is finally on the upswing.  We have done our best to keep Leona quarantined so hopefully she'll remain healthy.

Yesterday Emme took the second part of her testing for early enrollment into kindergarten.  She passed with flying colors!  She scored just above the 95th percentile which allows her to start school in the fall.  When I say fall it seems like a long way off, but it is really only a week and a half away.  I can't believe it, I'm going to be the mother of a school aged child!  It's amazing how fast time goes.  Needless to say, we are all quite excited and Dan & I couldn't be more proud of her.  Today we went to the school to get her registered and were buried with paper work, so by late tomorrow morning, she should be officially a kindergartner (unless I fail to dot some I or cross some T).

School started back up at the law school yesterday.  Today was Dan's first day of classes, however he spent all day yesterday at the school getting ready for today.  I have now made it through two days home where I am outnumbered 3:1.  I survived.  We have actually had fairly busy days too (high fevers, trips to the doctor, the health department, Goodwill, Emme's school...), so I think when things calm down a bit, I'll be doing just fine.  Plus, when school starts up for Emme on Sept. 3rd, I'll only have 2 kids at home for half of the day and I know that I can do that.  Enough about me, Dan is surviving, but being back in the grind is playing its toll.  He is exhausted.  As I am typing this, he is asleep on the couch and has been for about 1/2 and hour.  It will take a bit of time, but pretty soon, we'll all be back in a routine.

Tomorrow the kids and I head to Klamath Falls, where Emme and Calvin will spend some time with Nana & Papa and maybe Great Grammy too, while Leona, my mom and I accompany Stephanie to school in Boise.  I am really looking forward to getting away with my mom and sister...and I know the kids are excited to spend some time with Nana.  I'm sure Dan won't complain about having a peaceful house to himself for the next few days.....

No comments: