Thursday, August 14, 2008

Bunch of Sickies....

We have a couple of sick kids here (again) at the Higgins' house.  Poor Emme started having a runny nose and a cough last night and she woke up this morning with a fever and really sore throat.  Today was her big primary activity party that she has been waiting all week to attend but she was too sick to go.  She was so sad, she cried and cried and cried...which of course made her feel worse.  It made me feel pretty badly too, so we had to call her grandmas so that she could cry to them and they could make her feel better (or more realistically feel sorry for her too, so it wasn't just Dan and me).    

Poor Calvin fell asleep on the stairs to our basement while I was straightening things up.  I didn't think too much of it, he had been complaining that he was pretty tired and it was 11:30am and he usually takes a nap after lunch.   So I woke him up enough to get him to his bed for a nap (he couldn't seem to understand what was wrong with sleeping on the stairs).  Around 1pm, he woke up complaining (yelling really) that his tummy hurt.  At first I didn't believe him (I don't know why...I guess I'm just a mean mom), sometimes he wakes up grumpy....finally I went to check on him and he was burning up.  It turns out he had a fever of 103.1 and I imagine his tummy did hurt (I'm such a terrible mom).  Anyway, we gave him some Tylenol and he slept for about another hour.

I don't know what kind of funky fungus they picked up...but I would imagine it was from going to the wading pool on Tuesday.  Who knows what kind of nasty bacterium are floating around in that stagnant pool of slime (okay it really isn't that bad, but Calvin tends to drink the water and chew on the communal toys while Emme clings to the other kids...which even in the purest water is bound to spread illness).  So, we're taking things easy here today...staying out of the heat, staying hydrated and resting.  Doesn't make for a lot of fun...but we will survive...hopefully. 

No comments: